Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
His response was “I don’t need training; I was in the military”. Had to chuckle and walk away!
I HATE that. Usually it's the guys who did a brief stint in the service, only shot a rifle at basic, and otherwise didn't touch a weapon during their entire time in the service, who think that they are world-renowned experts. I worked with a former marine for a short time who was truck mechanic while he was in the Corps. He would brag, being completely serious, that he and all other marines were as capable as any SEAL, Delta, or Ranger of conducting special operations. He was one of those guys who got arrested as a kid and told by the judge to join the Marines or go to jail. And unfortunately, the Corps didn't straighten him out; he's still the same dirtbag but with a bigger ego.

There's another guy who comes into our store occasionally that we call "Air Force Guy" because he always, ALWAYS wears the same "USAF Retired" hat and shirt. He expects a discount above and beyond our usual serviceman's, and he likes to spend his time lecturing us on how everything we think we know about guns and gun safety is wrong. One time, he commented that my co-worker and I were fools because we both carry Glocks. He said striker fired guns are worthless because you can't carry them loaded safely. Only guns with hammers are safe to carry loaded.
I told him that no, striker guns are perfectly safe and that is one of the many reasons why they are so popular. He looked at me like a drill instructor about to smoke a recruit, then went into a long winded story about the first time he qualified for his carry permit (where he lived at the time, he needed to shoot while monitored by a police officer in order to get his permit). He talked about how he got a near perfect score, and how the police officer commented that it was obvious he was in the military because he followed directions so well and was such a good shot. All the while, I'm waiting for him to tell me about someone's Glock malfunctioning and shooting him in the ass, leading him to fear striker fired guns...or something like that. Nope. The point of his story was, he said, "When it comes to guns, I have experience and I know what the hell I'm talking about."
I told him thank you for your story and your service, but I stand by my statement and my own training and experience with striker-fired pistols. I too know what the hell I'm talking about. Two days later, he came in and bought a Springfield XD. Go figure.