Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Win Ranger Bonded 9 mm and .40

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Based purely on logic, test results, shooting scores, weapon durability, and fiscal outlay, they clearly should switch; however bureaucratic inertia and individual perceptions are hard to overcome by those individuals and organizations who choose to willfully ignore science...
    Sounds like the reasoning behind my departments switch to .45 ACP from .40 S&W. Never mind the fact it's not unusual to use our entire ammo budget for the year to get enough ball and duty ammo to qualify and replace the last years duty ammo at our one state mandated yearly qualification with .40 S&W, you can literally shoot someone in the leg and he will drop down DRT. Why do I know this? The assistant chief who made the decision said so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Galbraith View Post
    The 124gr Gold Dot bullet is the exact same part number used in the standard pressure and +P version. So, exact same bullet.
    Thanks for the correction. I was initially under the impression that the cavity was different between the two loads. After closer inspection, I see at they are the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    Maybe instead of downgrading their ammo they need to concentrate on upgrading the operators behind the trigger.
    The FBI academy is now 19.5 weeks and includes about 850 total hrs of classroom education. NAT's spend about 200-300 hours on firearms training with most of that dedicated to the G22. Typically, a NAT will fire 2500-3000 rounds in their training. There is additional intensive training for problem shooters who fail a qual stage. Thus, the FBI does a fairly good job at bringing former accountants, lawyers, scientists, etc. up to speed on firearms. Unfortunately, when you recruit based largely off non-combat skills, you tend to get a lot of shooters with 2 left hands.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The FBI academy is now 19.5 weeks and includes about 850 total hrs of classroom education. NAT's spend about 200-300 hours on firearms training with most of that dedicated to the G22. Typically, a NAT will fire 2500-3000 rounds in their training. There is additional intensive training for problem shooters who fail a qual stage. Thus, the FBI does a fairly good job at bringing former accountants, lawyers, scientists, etc. up to speed on firearms. Unfortunately, when you recruit based largely off non-combat skills, you tend to get a lot of shooters with 2 left hands.
    If people think that cops are not gun people, the stereotype goes even further with FBI agents. A much better model of harder use service weapons would be agencies like ATF or DEA. The 10mm and .40S&W are definitely sound choices for penetration improvements over the 9mm, but as we've all touched on if you aren't willing to put the training time in, then you need to carry the softer recoiling caliber.

Another issue with us Feds is that we almost exclusively train with green frangible ammo now days. You know, the whole fear of lead thing..... Heck, I cast lead bullets and my blood tests are normal. Anyhow, back to green ammo. The recoil levels on green frangible ammo are extremely light. A .40 feels like a 9mm basically. So, unless our officers take it upon themselves to train with full power lead ammo they ruin their muscle memory. When they start shooting the full power duty stuff, they have slower follow-ups and decrease accuracy. I would not be surprised if the reduce power Fed loads were ordered to bridge the training gap between green ammo and full power .40 loads.
    Last edited by S. Galbraith; 10-31-12 at 11:02.
    Insert impressive resume here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567