Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Win Ranger Bonded 9 mm and .40

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    I would go with the 147 grain... and would choose the Ranger 'T' RA9T load...
    After that, I would choose the Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST, also in 147 grain...
    I agree...

I have shot alot of the RA9T through my personal guns, to include my G19. This was done to ensure reliability and accuracy. This cost me a bit of $ at the time, would cost more so now, due to price increases.

IF I can't get teh Winchester RA9T when I run out of the ammo I have stored away, I'd feel ok with the Federal HST. Though I'd want to shoot some through my guns to ensure they are reliable. While it most likely wouldn't be necessary to test the HST for reliability, I'd feel better knowing vs. assuming...

I use the Winchester RA9T in all of my off duty guns/personal guns. My issued load, well it's a 147 gr JHP, and it goes "bang"... (WW Box loading)

Our department uses the Winchester 147 FMJ round as training ammunition. The Ranger RA9T shoots to the exact point of aim as the training round. Recoil is the same. No surprise, as it is the same weight bullet going at the same velocity.

I mention this only because I am old enough to remember when people trained with 38 spc wad cutters, then loaded either 38 +p, 38 +p+, or 357 mag loadings. This caused some issues...

I want to know where my gun shoots ref. point of aim vs. point of impact. I want to train with the same type of ammunition so that recoil, shot to shot recovery, ect will be the same. I can see where this might be an issue for those practicing with one load, such as a 115 gr loading, yet carrying a 127 +p+. Maybe not as extreme as the old revolver days, but could still be an issue.

Feedback Score
    I agree, also...

BTW, SCGunGuy is expecting some RA9T in soon... have you ever bought from him?

His pricing is great, along with great service, too...

BTW, I use the Winchester USA 147 grain JHP for practice...

Feedback Score
    The HST's are also working very well in OIS incidents...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    I agree, also...

BTW, SCGunGuy is expecting some RA9T in soon... have you ever bought from him?

His pricing is great, along with great service, too...

BTW, I use the Winchester USA 147 grain JHP for practice...
    No, the last I bought was from OMB Express. Still have 450 or so stored away in a cool dry place, next to the wine.

As I rotate my ammo out, If the RA9T is still hard to come by, or too expensive, I might go with the Fed HST loading.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 05-22-09 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The HST's are also working very well in OIS incidents...
    Doc,

Is there enough data to show if the penetration depth overall is about the same as Ranger RA9T typically would be? That was where I was concerned... I liked the expansion characteristics and consistency of the 147 grain Federal HST a lot, but the shallower penetration in gelatin as comared to the 147 grain Winchester Ranger had me a bit concerned (I admit to preferring more than 12 inches of penetration, I prefer 13-15 inches personally... like I typically see in the Ranger RA9T)...

Feedback Score
    9mm Fed 147 gr HST JHP; ave vel=997 fps (G19)
    BG: pen=14.6", RD=0.61", RL=0.39", RW=147.1gr
    4LD: pen=15.6", RD=0.56", RL=0.53", RW=145.5gr

HST seems to penetrate just fine...

Feedback Score
    Doc,

I would really like to see someone do a 'side-by-side' comparison with the Federal HST and Winchester Ranger 'T' (both in 147 grain 9mm) in a Glock 17 and 19...

The data I saw in the past with a Glock 17 seemed to have the HST expanding considerably more (above 65 caliber), while penetrating just past 12 inches (less than 13, in fact) in bare gelatin...

This has me a bit curious... I wouldn't normally expect a lot of performance variation between a Glock 17 and 19... anyone else see this variation except me? Was the load 'tweaked' recently???

Feedback Score
    You can stop worrying--there is virtually no difference in performance of 147 gr HST fired from G19 and G17.

Feedback Score
    My concern was because the numbers you just posted seemed like better performance (from my view) than earlier numbers I had (not from you)...

Federal HST 9mm 147 grain JHP (Glock 17)
    Bare Gelatin: 12 inches Penetration (.85 inches Expanded Diameter)
    Heavy Clothing: 12.5 inches Penetration (.69 inches Expanded Diameter)

This was data from almost exactly 1 year ago...
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 05-25-09 at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    Doc Roberts,

has there been a change to the Ranger Bonded bullet? A google search for the Ranger Bonded produces this:

This is what I received from OMB Express:

It looks to me like the nose of the bullet has been cut off. Any info on this?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast