Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corbon DPX 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP duty ammo vs. Fed HST as control

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wonder if the expanding Pedals of the Barnes XPB JHP are compressing back at a different rate, or maybe one or two pedals open before the others creating a drag which tilts the bullet throwing it off course.

Just a uneducated guess by a Greenhorn.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 02-18-09 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    "I wonder if the expanding Pedals of the Barnes XPB JHP are compressing back at a different rate, or maybe one or two pedals open before the others creating a drag which tilts the bullet throwing it off course."
    Bingo!

Happens primarily to the XPB's--the TSX's generally end up being wad-cutters, as discussed earlier: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26127&page=2

---------------------

The 185 gr XPB might work better as a standard pressure--one would have to test to determine that.

---------------------

I didn't make the pick, both work fine:

.45 ACP Fed 230 gr HST JHP; ave vel=906 fps (1911)
    BG: pen=14.2", RD=0.76", RL=0.51", RW=230.4gr
    4LD: pen=14.2", RD=0.73", RL=0.46", RW=230.6gr

.45 ACP Fed 230 gr +P HST JHP; ave vel=996 fps (1911)
    BG: pen=12.2", RD=0.85", RL=0.41", RW=230.5gr
    4LD: pen=14.6", RD=0.69", RL=0.46", RW=230.7gr

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    ...the only area of concern was a propensity for the Barnes XPB bullets to have difficulties with auto windshield intermediate barriers. The Barnes bullets would frequently begin to yaw off course after only a few centimeters of travel in gel and would often veer to 90 degrees and exit the gel blocks in under 10 cm--this phenomena requires further study.
    One year later, has the DPX/windshield phenomena been addressed? If not, does this mean DPX fails the FBI standards?
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. — Arthur Schopenhauer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm guessing that it's in the nature of the design of this style of bullet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great information.I still prefer a 147 (HST or Ranger) but the Barnes load is about the only 115 gr.that I would consider. Thanks for continuing to provide this info.

Feedback Score
    Agree with DocH...

I prefer those 2 loads, but prefer the Ranger overall when I consider accuracy in my specific pistol, etc.

Feedback Score
    Doc, simple question, if you were to buy .45 self defence ammo which one would you buy? ( which do you think is the best) Im looking to buy some but cant seem to get any clear answers. Thank you

Feedback Score
    cronus5116--I am quite happy carrying any of the following, depending upon which is most reliable and accurate in my specific pistol, as well as what is readily available in adequate quantities to ensure initial function check, zero, and carry use (minimum of 500-1000 rounds):

Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

FWIW, the HST is currently being used here--it is performing as well or perhaps slightly better in OIS incidents than the Ranger-T that was issued for the previous decade...

Feedback Score
    Doc Roberts:

Do these bullets yaw and penetrate bare and 4LD gelatin sideways (producing a "coin slot" like permanent cavity) or do they expand and penetrate "point forward" like a conventional lead-core JHP bullet? I'm curious how these lightwight bullets are able to achieve the depths of penetration that they do.

Thanks!
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Shawn,

The all copper Barnes XPB bullets exhibit conventional JHP deformation. They are efficient cutters; in addition, look at all that empty space between the extended "petals" when the projectile is expanded--not much drag/resistance there...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast