Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle nut staking, why the big deal?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm probably the last person to be considered a technical resource, but I have to ask, why the bloody hell would you NOT want to stake it?

to be obstinate and difficult and to simply prove that you were right? are you my wife posting incognito???
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    My hyundai went over 250,000 miles in 3-4 years and never was in the shop for anything except for damage from a wreck and basic maintenance...

that means I should have raced with it...right?

You have a statistical sampling of one.

Every dog has his day.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I'm probably the last person to be considered a technical resource, but I have to ask, why the bloody hell would you NOT want to stake it?

to be obstinate and difficult and to simply prove that you were right? are you my wife posting incognito???

Some people like to change receiver plates and RE's a lot (for whatever reason) and like not having to un-stack them every time.

This is really the ONLY valid excuse I have heard to date.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Some people like to change receiver plates and RE's a lot (for whatever reason) and like not having to un-stack them every time.

This is really the ONLY valid excuse I have heard to date.

C4

And that was my only point in bringing up this topic in the first place. I would guess that a high percentage of people replace the existing stock out, or add a sling adapter plate, and so need to unstake it anyways. I agree that they should be staked, but I just never understood why it would be a quality indicator since half of them are going to be unstaked anyways. That was the only point I was making.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hopefully that question was answered to your satisfaction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    So if the simple things that take 2 minutes to do at home were neglected at the factory, what things you can't readily see were also neglected at the factory??

Hmm, were the bolts really MP tested per spec? Is the steel really 4140 or 4150 or 416SS or whatever they claim? Is the anodizing really type III? Are the pins and such really hardened properly?

Once you cut the corners on the most mundane "2 minute" job, all the other things you CAN'T check as a hobbyist or LE or grunt come in to question.
    Those mundane things would still come into question for some. Hell I'm not there watching the thing get made. How do YOU really know?

Yes track records are great and a good indicator. Anyone notice the distinct lack of factory colt, bushmaster etc major manufacturer employees are on this site? I'd love to hear what they have to say. But then again, not many would say they work
    for a crap company and everyone wants to be the best. Oh well, let the debate continue.

One thing is for sure, many of the guys out there getting real work done with their rifles aren't half as anal about their weapons as most here are. Just how it is and a simple observation. Most of the real fighters don't hand pick what they get to use. They get it isssued, then perform to the best of their ability and make due. Not complain about non MPI tested barrels and a lack of stacking on their castle nut.

I'm going with yugo on this one.

Could it be looked into as a "what if" for lack of quality...........yep
    Could it be because they figure someone will just work on it.....yep

Ask a grunt what staking a castle nut means. 99.9% will look at you like your crazy with no clue.
    Ask a LE officer what staking a castle nut means, same response.

I'm not even going to get into how a buddy just sold a dpms rifle for 1150 and how all the other officers in the dept were
    falling all over themselves to get this "quality" rifle. I won't mention what he paid for it. hahahah
    Last edited by trunkmonkey; 01-26-09 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Let's say for the sake of argument that 50% of all AR purchasers replace their endplate or change the configuration somehow that requires removal of the castle nut. The manufacturers who ship and don't stake could at a minimum tell the consumer "please notice that the castle nut and end plate on your carbine has not been stake. This is to facilitate your ability to swap certain items. Should you choose not to we recommend that you seek out a qualified person to properly stake it."

Then again we have no idea what the real numbers are of those who remove their end plate/ castle nut so the manufacturer shouldn't assume and should do it from the get go.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trunkmonkey View Post
    One thing is for sure, many of the guys out there getting real work done with their rifles aren't half as anal about their weapons as most here are. Just how it is and a simple observation. Most of the real fighters don't hand pick what they get to use. They get it isssued, then perform to the best of their ability and make due. Not complain about non MPI tested barrels and a lack of stacking on their castle nut.
    That's not a real argument. Most "real" gunfighters have already had someone who in your words is anal, spec out their gun to include staked castle nuts and all the testing on bolts and barrels. Most "real" gunfighters have an armorer to look over their guns for them and make sure they are up to snuff. If they're lacking those things, then they'd be better served to be anal about their weapons.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    That's not a real argument. Most "real" gunfighters have already had someone who in your words is anal, spec out their gun to include staked castle nuts and all the testing on bolts and barrels. Most "real" gunfighters have an armorer to look over their guns for them and make sure they are up to snuff. If they're lacking those things, then they'd be better served to be anal about their weapons.
    Bingo.

Ask Dale Jr. what the sparkplug gap on the engine in his car is and see what kind of response you get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Let's say for the sake of argument that 50% of all AR purchasers replace their endplate or change the configuration somehow that requires removal of the castle nut. The manufacturers who ship and don't stake could at a minimum tell the consumer "please notice that the castle nut and end plate on your carbine has not been stake. This is to facilitate your ability to swap certain items. Should you choose not to we recommend that you seek out a qualified person to properly stake it."

Then again we have no idea what the real numbers are of those who remove their end plate/ castle nut so the manufacturer shouldn't assume and should do it from the get go.
    See now that makes perfect sense. At least an aknowledgement would certainly be nice.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast