Rob,
I wasnt contradicting you. The mere fact that loctiting it to the buffer puts the rotational forces on the wrong part is reason enough to stake the nut.

You do bring up a good point about parts secured with loctite coming loose. PROPERLY loctited nuts will not come lose.

However I'd guess that many who do use loctite where it is appropriate (again not advocating it on the castle nut, just trying to contribute some general mechanical knowledge) do not use it properly. To work properly the parts must be thoroughly degreased. That means they need to be well soaked in brake cleaner/gun scrubber or some other high vapor pressure solvent.

Most people dont bother to do that first and don't get the bond they are expecting.

Don
p.s. As for my own use, none of my castle nuts are staked or loctited. They are all range toys at this point. I'm also not sure what stock I'm going to be keeping on my favorite lower. One thing is sure though. When I take my first carbine course this year, it will be properly staked.