Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 308 Carbine options?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm far from an expert, but I am very partial to my POF Rogue 16" .308. It's crazy light, takes many AR15 parts, and shoots really well. I have it set up with a KDG rail and Riflespeed adjustable gas block. It's a shade over 9lbs as pictured, with an empty mag.

I have a spare bolt + firing pin on hand. I'll worry about rebarreling in, oh, five years or so. Probably just send the old barrel to a smith to spin up a new one using the POF barrel extension.

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Even if the SCAR doesn't break optics, it's by far the most miserable 308 gasser I've shot. The SCAR light isn't too bad, but the H is pure snappy recoil hell.

And you know if it's a SCAR gay, there's a suppressor on it to make it even worse.
    I really want to know what was wrong with the ammo/gun you were shooting. Like seriously, you might as well be saying that ARs feel like a bazooka and give you PTSD like that pansy journalist back in '16 for all the sense that statement makes to me.

The SCAR is by far the softest shooting .308 in my collection, and I've got the Cold War big 3, and an AR-10. Nothing else comes close. The original muzzle break was loud as hell, but that's always been the only complaint. Even folks that don't like .308 or the SCAR admit that it shoots softer than other options after shooting mine.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 05-09-24 at 09:12.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    It's 2024. I'm thinking about moving into the 308 world, and I'm curious on what the options are with the following criteria:

1- Reliability. Using precision standard loads that are magazine fed.
    2- Handling. I'm not looking to build a DMR. Lighter is better, within context.
    3- Accuracy. 2MOA with common match ammo, if possible.
    4- Spare parts. Murphy and all.
    5- Suppressor compatibility. This is negotiable, for now.
    6-Price. I'd rather spend 2k than 4k, but I'll happily spend 4k on something that works.

The role is for increased performance on target out to 800 yards, and for use in the heavy class of 3gun comps. At this time, I leaning towards a 16" barrel. I don't want a gamer gun.

I've shot M1As, FALs, and SCAR-17s before, I liked them enough for what they were. The SCAR is a possibility, but I need to look at their issue with breaking optics. I've thought about building an Aero M5 with a Criterion barrel, but wonder if there are better ways to go.

What are the forums experiences and recommendations?
    What a can of worms, buy cheap and then spend a few thousand more on ammo to prove reliability and on proprietary spare parts to insure long term serviceability? Or go expensive with a proven design in wide spread use?

I like to look at military usage because they can afford to vet rifles, then I would look at the US market and what is used and sold here. Instead of a long discussion about the merits of a KAC SR-25 vs SCAR vs LMT vs HK lets cut to the chase, if I were in the market today I would go with the SIG 716i. Don't own one, don't really like SIG, but price is good, company is gonna be around, in service with Indian Army, lots of .mil contracts. I would hate to give money to SIG but that's the one that makes the most sense to me, buy one and put some rounds through it. Instead of a SCAR buy two 716's, one is none two is one.

Last edited by mack7.62; 05-09-24 at 09:47.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Did you use a Wilson Combat handguard?
    If so, what brand crowsfoot did you use for the barrel nut? The one that I have a too thick and need to be machined down to fit on the flats.
    Yes, I did and if memory serves, I had to buy a second one. I think the crowfoot I used was an amazon special "Mentium USA" "Crowfoot Nut Wrench 1-3/8" opening." It has a little Spartan head logo. No machining was required. I only own two such crowfoot wrenches, so if it wasn't that one, it was the generic one of the same size I bought at Lowes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I really want to know what was wrong with the ammo/gun you were shooting. Like seriously, you might as well be saying that ARs feel like a bazooka and give you PTSD like that pansy journalist back in '16 for all the sense that statement makes to me.

The SCAR is by far the softest shooting .308 in my collection.
    That's interesting. The one I shot was brutal. It really fed into the notion that these suckers break optics too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Haven't had chance to fire a SCAR. But with brake and adjustable gas block, it shouldn't be too bad.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Old school:

-battle proven $2200

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
    Haven't had chance to fire a SCAR. But with brake and adjustable gas block, it shouldn't be too bad.

-TL
    I can just rember that curve on the upper (where your cheek touches the gun) jack hammering my friggin skull.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can just rember that curve on the upper (where your cheek touches the gun) jack hammering my friggin skull.
    You aren't alone, my SCAR is the worst recoiling 762 rifle I own. I have always attributed it to the light weight. It isn't like a 458 but it is sharp and abrupt is the best way I can describe it.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-09-24 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    The backside of the "little boot's shank", right? I can see that. A sloping up profile like that can make the backwards recoil felt. Did the rifle has brake or compensator?

The rifle has folding stock, so it doesn't have AR type buffer. It may make things a bit worse.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast