Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 308 Carbine options?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I forgot about that one. Not a bad option.

We've actually had a few guys out who built Aero precision creations that actually were functional.
    I think their bcg and buffer setup is the achilles heel to their complete. I recommend doing the AR-10 buffer tube and Toolcraft 6.5cm bcg (smaller diameter firing pin hole) regardless of .308 vs 6.5 when building your own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I think their bcg and buffer setup is the achilles heel to their complete. I recommend doing the AR-10 buffer tube and Toolcraft 6.5cm bcg (smaller diameter firing pin hole) regardless of .308 vs 6.5 when building your own.
    You know? The buffer set up is the thing that we (Pappabear and I) just don't have a good grasp of.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I vote build as well, however, I have the LMT on my list of future buys.

I built a 6.5C AR10, using mostly all Wilson Combat components, 100% reliable and shoots like a laser beam.

It isn't a carbine, it has a 22" barrel, but if you build, you can buy the barrel that meets your needs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You know? The buffer set up is the thing that we (Pappabear and I) just don't have a good grasp of.
    IMO that is the most confusing part. Essentially you have three, let's say, "mainstream" options for buffer tubes...

1. Standard AR-15 Buffer Tube
    -requires specific "Ar-10 carbine" buffer (they're very short, heavy)

2. AR-10 Specific Carbine Buffer Tube/Ar-15 Vltor A5 Buffer Tube
    -requires standard Ar-15 buffers...think of this setup as the Vltor A5 for .308
    (Because tube is slightly longer it allows the use of standard ar-15 buffers like the H-H3, allowing flexibility)

3. AR-10 Rifle Length Buffer Tube
    -Requires AR-10 rifle length buffer, works with fixed stocks.

I intentionally left out springs because unlike the ar-15, ar-10 has springs that work in either carbine or rifle length, specific carbine OR rifle length springs, and one offs like tubbs or sprinco. Personally I use the armalite carbine/rifle buffer spring but MAY begin experimenting with Sprinco. I'm hesitant because the noticeable difference in recoil is already there, not sure if I want to run risk inducing malfunctions chasing recoil nirvana with tuning springs.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 05-08-24 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I vote build as well, however, I have the LMT on my list of future buys.

I built a 6.5C AR10, using mostly all Wilson Combat components, 100% reliable and shoots like a laser beam.

It isn't a carbine, it has a 22" barrel, but if you build, you can buy the barrel that meets your needs.
    Did you use a Wilson Combat handguard?
    If so, what brand crowsfoot did you use for the barrel nut? The one that I have a too thick and need to be machined down to fit on the flats.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    2. AR-10 Specific Carbine Buffer Tube/Ar-15 Vltor A5 Buffer Tube
    -requires standard Ar-15 buffers...think of this setup as the Vltor A5 for .308
    (Because tube is slightly longer it allows the use of standard ar-15 buffers like the H-H3, allowing flexibility)
    For clarification... the Vltro A5 RE is the same thing (dimensionally) as what would be called an AR-10 Carbine RE?

If yes, would you not have to use A5 sized buffers? Regular AR buffers would be too short and wouldn't "bottom out" in the rear of the tube right?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For clarification... the Vltro A5 RE is the same thing (dimensionally) as what would be called an AR-10 Carbine RE?

If yes, would you not have to use A5 sized buffers? Regular AR buffers would be too short and wouldn't "bottom out" in the rear of the tube right?
    Yes they’re dimensionally the same. As far as buffers, you would use a standard AR15 buffers NOT A5 buffers. The bcg is longer so the A5 buffers would be too long/not enough travel.

If you buy the Armalite Ar-10 Carbine Buffer kit, it’s an ar15 buffer, a5 length buffer tube, and their carbine spring. But plenty of other spring options for the same setup.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 05-08-24 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Yes they’re dimensionally the same. As far as buffers, you would use a standard AR15 buffers NOT A5 buffers. The bcg is longer so the A5 buffers would be too long/not enough travel.
    This is great info.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Have a B&T 308 APC Pro for ~2 years now, touch over 1K through it. Needed 100 or so rounds on adverse gas setting to break in. Liked 168 and 175 SMK's, did sub 2 MOA @100Y with out me putting in too much effort. Did ok with M80 ball, but dont have notes on groups. Recoil's manageable, but gun is front heavy - the factory new gen ACR esque stock is light. Comes with an Elftman adjustable trigger, IIRC factory pull was set around 2.5lbs. 18" is 10.5 lbs, not the lightest out there however. Replaced a FAL for heavy at matches.

Feedback Score
    I put together a budget AR-10 for much less than $1k. It is hovering around 1 to 1.5moa at 150yd. It is in .243win though. I think .308 could be even slightly cheaper because of its popularity. It is cheap so it doesn't bring much "prestige" on the range, but it doesn't bother me a bit. There are other rifles that shoot better. Mine is not too far behind.

I have only one rifle in .308 win. PTR91. But I doubt you would like it. I do.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast