Thread: 2024 308 Carbine options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's interesting. The one I shot was brutal. It really fed into the notion that these suckers break optics too.
    I'd wonder if the gas settings were wrong, but the SCAR's regulator is pretty damn simple, and even setting it at 10 o'clock shouldn't give that result.

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You aren't alone, my SCAR is the worst recoiling 762 rifle I own. I have always attributed it to the light weight. It isn't like a 458 but it is sharp and abrupt is the best way I can describe it.
    So bizarre. That's the opposite of how I'd describe the recoil of the SCAR. To me it's always been a longer, more movement oriented form of recoil, due to the mass of the carrier being so far forward. You'll know you're shooting .308, but it's better than the other options.

Worst recoiling would be a Blackrain AR-10, followed by the PTR 91 (and the 3 roller delayed guns I've fired all recoil about the same) or FAL with the gas port opened up.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I'd wonder if the gas settings were wrong, but the SCAR's regulator is pretty damn simple, and even setting it at 10 o'clock shouldn't give that result.

So bizarre. That's the opposite of how I'd describe the recoil of the SCAR. To me it's always been a longer, more movement oriented form of recoil, due to the mass of the carrier being so far forward. You'll know you're shooting .308, but it's better than the other options.

Worst recoiling would be a Blackrain AR-10, followed by the PTR 91 (and the 3 roller delayed guns I've fired all recoil about the same) or FAL with the gas port opened up.
    Mine is an early one, so perhaps it is over gassed. 308 doesn't bother me in the least. Heck, I shoot my 458 SOCOM, AR platform and actually enjoy the recoil from that round.

I just checked my gas setting. 12 for non supressed, so it is correct.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-12-24 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Kind sir, the Indians have cancelled their contract for the 716 due to problems.

Edit: I can’t find the links now, and it appears very possible that the issues were entirely due to the third-world attitude toward ammo production, maintenance, and training.
    That seems to be outdated, unless you can find anything more recent than 2022.

This article talks about them not buying more, but it's right at two years old; May 11, 2022. However, in December of last year, it was announced they were buying 70,000 more.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le67631587.ece

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/n...-sig716-rifles

Likely they had internal politics that got canned when they realized getting AKs from Russia was getting harder, and it was simply easier to actually make/buy ammo that wasn't craptastic.

Mine is an early one, so perhaps it is over gassed. 308 doesn't bother me in the least. Heck, I shoot my 458 SOCOM, AR platform and actually enjoy the recoil from that round.

I just checked my gas setting. 12 for non supressed, so it is correct.
    Yeah, 12 o'clock is correct. Mine is pretty early too; bought it in early 2011. I would have assumed the difference would boil down to preferences or even Belgian vs US made. Guess not. Be curious to get the rifles side by side and see if there is a difference or if it's all perception.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The problems the Indians had with their 308's showed up after they starting using India produced crap ammo, I think it might have been steel cased, the rifles ran fine with the Western sourced ammo.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post

Likely they had internal politics that got canned when they realized getting AKs from Russia was getting harder, and it was simply easier to actually make/buy ammo that wasn't craptastic.
    You can't trust anyone in the Indian .Gov. Corruption is rampant, they're gangsters and just love the Russians. They like to switch back and forth between Western and Russia but when push comes to shove, they'll fall on the Russian side and leave the Western powers hanging out to dry.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I have two fairly lightweight lightweight .308 AR setups:

First is the POF Revolution DI. This feels just like an AR-15, because it pretty much is. AR-15 BCG, AR-15 sized receivers. With the adjustable Riflespeed gas block, it's a great suppressor host, even with the gassy Omega can.

Next is the S&W M&P10. The original lightweight ambi AR10, it's not as light and compact as the POF, so mine is more of a DMR, with 1-6 LPVO and integrated bipod handguard. Mine is equipped with an SLR adjustable gas block, but it's not quickly adjustable like the Riflespeed, so the rifle is not the best suppressor host. For that reason, I use the short and less gassy Sandman K.
    Last edited by masakari; 05-13-24 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    The problems the Indians had with their 308's showed up after they starting using India produced crap ammo, I think it might have been steel cased, the rifles ran fine with the Western sourced ammo.
    You can't trust anyone in the Indian .Gov. Corruption is rampant, they're gangsters and just love the Russians. They like to switch back and forth between Western and Russia but when push comes to shove, they'll fall on the Russian side and leave the Western powers hanging out to dry.
    Correct on use of indigenous (crap) 7.62 ammo causing the first group of 70,000 rifles to choke and the second batch getting embargoed.

The Indians usually specify offset production in their contracts (a portion of parts and assembly to be accomplished in India). Waiting on the Russians to set up or expand Indian AK production came to a complete stop after the start of the Ukraine invasion.

Mumbai pretty much canceled the Russian deal, lifted embargo, and executed the second SIG buy. They're probably still shooting crap indigenous 7.62.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Correct on use of indigenous (crap) 7.62 ammo causing the first group of 70,000 rifles to choke and the second batch getting embargoed.

The Indians usually specify offset production in their contracts (a portion of parts and assembly to be accomplished in India). Waiting on the Russians to set up or expand Indian AK production came to a complete stop after the start of the Ukraine invasion.

Mumbai pretty much canceled the Russian deal, lifted embargo, and executed the second SIG buy. They're probably still shooting crap indigenous 7.62.
    Thanks, good to know.

Every time I see their police, they're carrying beat to shit High powers that look like they were made in the 50's and were drug down a gravel road for several miles.