View Poll Results: Is your HD rifle (rifle caliber) suppressed or do you plan to grab ear pro or both?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • No suppressor, no ear pro

3 17.65%
  • No suppressor, yes ear pro

2 11.76%
  • Suppressor, no ear pro

9 52.94%
  • Suppressor, yes ear pro

2 11.76%
  • Other

1 5.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your HD rifle suppressed or is ear protection the plan or both? Poll.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Suppressed .300, 215gr berger subs, no ear pro.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Forgot about the 300 blackout factor. That platform is certainly Suppressor for sure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have always joked that the deafness acquired from shooting firearms indoors beats the deafness acquired from being shot by firearms indoors.

That said....plenty of solid tactical reasoning to preserve your senses. 300 blk 220gr subs suppressed barely interrupts a conversation. That's my go-to. I don't keep kit in the bedroom anyways, it would have to be one serious home invasion to send me to the safe.

Feedback Score
    Delete / accident
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-10-24 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    What's a "Berger" bullet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's my thought. A can is still about as loud indoors as shooting a 9mm pistol in my experience. Who knows for sure? Unless someone has had to shoot it out with an M4 in his house, we're all just speculating was the best answer is.
    An unsuppressed 9mm Para handgun is typically >160 dB. A MK18 with a SureFire SOCOM556-RC2 is ~145 dB (~138 at the ear outdoors). That is a huge amount of difference in volume. The human ear is pretty bad at distinguishing loudness unless right next to each other. Remember that a 6 dB increase corresponds to a rough doubling of the sound pressure (thanks to tangolima for the correction), so a 15 dB difference is huge in terms of how much damage your hearing might sustain. At 145 dB, the sound wave pressure is at ~356 Pa; at 160 dB, we're at 2000 Pa.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-10-24 at 16:52.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    An unsuppressed 9mm Para handgun is typically >160 dB. A MK18 with a SureFire SOCOM556-RC2 is ~145 dB (~138 at the ear outdoors). That is a huge amount of difference in volume. The human ear is pretty bad at distinguishing loudness unless right next to each other. Remember that a 3 dB increase corresponds to a rough doubling of the sound pressure, so a 15 dB difference is huge in terms of how much damage your hearing might sustain.
    3dB is 40% increase in pressure, not double, I'm afraid. It is 20*log() kind of deal. 6dB to double pressure.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tangolima; 05-10-24 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    An unsuppressed 9mm Para handgun is typically >160 dB. A MK18 with a SureFire SOCOM556-RC2 is ~145 dB (~138 at the ear outdoors). That is a huge amount of difference in volume. The human ear is pretty bad at distinguishing loudness unless right next to each other. Remember that a 6 dB increase corresponds to a rough doubling of the sound pressure (thanks to tangolima for the correction), so a 15 dB difference is huge in terms of how much damage your hearing might sustain. At 145 dB, the sound wave pressure is at ~356 Pa; at 160 dB, we're at 2000 Pa.
    Only tried it with a M4-1000. Ear ringing was comparable to firing a 9mm in an open outdoor area. Unscientific, I know. But the closest thing I can compare it to.

The gist was that Supersonic fire indoors is far from hearing safe.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    What's a "Berger" bullet?
    I had to look it up.

It's a hunting bullet meant for 2500 fps + velocity.

At .300 BLK speeds, probably SS as well as Sub, it's going to make a smaller wound than 115 gr 9mm FMJ and penetrate far more building material. I don't understand why one would choose this.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I keep a 11.5 suppressed SBR as my emergency rifle. That being said, I think I would PREFER to have the same rifle, or even a 13 inch .308 without suppressor and good active ear pro. I think the idea a of a semi auto flash bang generator would be pretty effective (presuming you put in a little time under enclosures to get yourself used to it). I just don't want to be fiddling with ear pro when someone is kicking in my door.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast