Thread: Considering one of two carbines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo40 View Post
    I look at threads like this and I cannot help but feel like this forum has stagnated... There was a time when you used to see a lot more variety, with folks who owned all sorts of ARs and were always looking to expand their collections, try out the latest offering by every brand, then post detailed comparison threads between the latest AR and their tried and true AR, which wasn't always a Colt.

I miss when the Colt wasn't the end all, be all, and folks didn't just automatically assume it was the best, but actually continuously compared the latest iterations of Colt Carbines to the latest iterations of Rifles/Carbines of other brands to confirm which was better.

Personally, I feel that there are plenty of viable alternatives to Colt, and I'm skeptical that current production Colts are as good as those produced since Colt lost their Sole Source Military Contract.

Honestly, does anyone hear own either of the options that the OP was asking about? Heck, does anyone here own a Colt produced since 2015? If not, then how do you know what's better? Stats on paper?

Last but not least, for all the generic, fly-by responses about how apparently only Colts can make it through a weekend training course, I've yet to see anyone actually bother to post any proof of it. Where are the pictures of these broken down off-brands? Evidently everyone has a camera on hand to show of pics of them shooting and their targets, yet I've never once seen any pics of the damaged off-brand carbines that are apparently a regular occurrence which send guys running back to their LGS to swap it out for a Colt, so I cannot help but doubt the authenticity of these tales.

If you want to tell me that some kid brought a Bear Creek AR to a weekend training course and had it break down on him, then I can easily accept that, same goes for other bottom-dollar brands, but Smith & Wesson and FN, especially the higher end models? Show, don't tell. Let's see an actual pick of a Performance Center/Tactical/Patrol/etc model with a cracked bolt, ruptured gas tube, split barrel, or some other such form of easily visible damage which assertedly manifested itself because the 4140 barrel steel used has .10% less carbon than 4150.
    You've been here for less than a month and somehow you know the forum has stagnated? Give me a break.

Yes, there are viable alternatives to Colt, I own many examples.

But that really isn't the point of this thread. Sure, he can spend a lot more money for a lot more rifle, that wasn't his question. The point was to try to get him something demonstrably better than the choices he initially posted. After that post it literally went off the rails because he doesn't have a firm grasp on what he wants.

BTW: The forum has far less traffic than it used to, so in that aspect it has stagnated. However, the advice you get here is still leaps and bounds better than other forums.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Considering one of two carbines

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You've been here for less than a month and somehow you know the forum has stagnated? Give me a break.

Yes, there are viable alternatives to Colt, I own many examples.

But that really isn't the point of this thread. Sure, he can spend a lot more money for a lot more rifle, that wasn't his question. The point was to try to get him something demonstrably better than the choices he initially posted. After that post it literally went off the rails because he doesn't have a firm grasp on what he wants.

BTW: The forum has far less traffic than it used to, so in that aspect it has stagnated. However, the advice you get here is still leaps and bounds better than other forums.
    Demonstrably is subjective until proven otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.