Thread: Considering one of two carbines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    A few of you are being hard on me.
    Your asks are being a bit schizophrenic.

Lets work backwards...

1 - what is your budget for the upper?
    2- what are your must haves?
    3- what would be your like to haves?

Based on what you have posted, I think you would be served well with a 16 inch, light weight profile that is free-floated.
    Something like the Criterion Core barrel or the BCM Enhanced light weight (ELW) barrel.
    Slap a PSA lower on it and it would be a fairly descent rifle. If you watch the sales, you can get a fully assembled PSA lower for around $130.
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 05-07-24 at 01:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    A few of you are being hard on me.
    Welcome to the internet.

I don't subscribe to the "buy a Colt" philosophy of many on here, but they are a decent option. Some of your requirements and comments are more than a bit strange, and indicate you are operating with some incorrect notions in regards to equipment.

Listen to what folks are saying, find something that fits your perceived needs for a carbine, and get it. Then get out a train with it. That's far more important than getting the one carbine to rule them all.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Considering one of two carbines

Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Your asks are being a bit schizophrenic.

Lets work backwards...

1 - what is your budget for the upper?
    2- what are your must haves?
    3- what would be your like to haves?

Based on what you have posted, I think you would be served well with a 16 inch, light weight profile that is free-floated.
    I haven’t seen absolute answers to any of these questions.

Is the primary use long-ish range precision (to what degree), or is it close range?

As was already mentioned, if it’s not a dedicated long range rig, having an 18” heavy barrel and PRS stock would be quite inappropriate.

The Colt 6960 upper mentioned above paired with any quality lower would be a good multi-purpose solution. I bought one from Brownells a few years ago on sale and it’s been a solid upper.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-08-24 at 17:21.