Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
Yeah, a 14.5” isn’t much of a hindrance unless we’re comparing it to 18”+ barrels. And it’s mostly only noticeable with unknown-distance (UKD) targets due to range estimation error with 18”-24” vs 14.5”.

The difference in distance to transonic between a 14.5” and a 16” is very small, so with known-distance (KD) targets they are essentially equal. I shoot matches that go to 500yds routinely with whatever gun I have with me as I travel, and that’s often a 12.5” or 14.5” with BDC LPVO, and I usually place well*. I also casually shoot to 600 with whatever AR I have with me at least annually, and again, the gun seems to work fine. I start to notice the weakness of SBR barrels on the UKD range, or at 800yds, though. We’re talking about E-Types, F-Types, 2/3 and B/C silhouettes, and iron maidens here.

*I did extremely poorly in such a match last month with a 18” SPR using 69gr BTHP…bad DOPE and 6”-8” targets.

That’s a very good blog to read, for any skill level.
When I first read that OP post it took me back to 2013 when I was debating getting another 16" gun or going 14.5", I remember going through forums, and Youtube videos only to find out that the ammo had much more to do with velocity then the barrel did at both those lengths. M193 was something like 3000 fps out of a 16" and 14.5" was around 2870, or just a menial difference. Meanwhile the profile of the barrel, the materials used in construction, the rifling, the manufacturing process probably matter much more then length (That's what she said joke here).

I don't shoot out passed 150-200 yards often with my ARs but I've gotten well out to 600+ with my 11.3 and rung 10" plates just fine, although it does teach out about wind and a 55gr-69gr round.

I think that people are constantly looking for a one size fits all solution and it doesn't exist. We all have our Go-to rifle, but they all come at a compromise, you just have to train for that. I had a GySGT who used to tell us NCOs when we got mad at the boots " Their just in the shallow end of the pool" and that's where the OP is.