Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering one of two carbines

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    Not trolling. They were Windham back then. Maybe I should have used the term good instead of very good.

Who is IG?
    Yup, you are full of $hit. I just have to figure out what kind of $hit you are full of.
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 05-07-24 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Now you ARE trolling. Thank goodness IG didn't see this one.
    IG was NOT a fan of BM or BS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Yup, you are full of $hit. I just have to figure out what kind of $hit you are full of.
    Unlike anything I ever wrote on here, this is a troll towards you only: You're a jerk.

Feedback Score
    Unlike anything I ever wrote on here, this is a troll towards you only: You're a jerk.
    How very Alinksy of you.

My opinion might not be popular but I am usually right.
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 05-08-24 at 01:36.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not trolling. They were Windham back then. Maybe I should have used the term good instead of very good.

Who is IG?
    IraqGuns, the Moderator / Gunsmith who probably would have banned you for posting such nonsense, RIP.

You've been registered since 2012 and should certainly know who he was...........

Search his posts, you'll likely learn something.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Guys, consider not being giant ****tards. IG was very knowledgeable but could also be kind of a dick. Not knowing who he is really doesn't mean anything at this point, I don't know why some of you seem almost triggered about it. OP sounds like he's watched some vids or maybe learned some stuff a while ago but doesn't have a full grasp. Nothing wrong with that. As to his original question, this forum has pushed Colt at least since I've been here, and while I know that its tiresome to see the same questions asked, the status quo should be challenged every so often. How many of you that are recommending Colts have tried either of his mentioned options ever? How about recently? Can you actually speak with recent experience as to the differences is performance? If its that much of a problem for you, just don't respond. Its not hard.

OP, you're a little off base on several of your posts. Some guys are being a little too much but there is plenty of knowledge around between members in this thread that are still trying to help and plenty to be searched from previous posts.

With all of that said, barrel profile matters to me, I too prefer tapered whether heavy or light. For what you want, the Colt SOCOM is probably great (but more expensive) but I've really only heard good things about both F&N and S&W (for the money). SOLGW may be worth a look now too, their new barrel profile is tapered but I'm not sure how widely that'll be spread around their cheaper platforms. Also, I think you're wrapped a little too tightly around the velocity for barrel length, there's going to be very little difference between 14.5 and 16 so don't rule it out. FWIW, 56gr MEN 5.56 was going transonic out of my suppressed 12.5 at about 650m the last time I really stretched it. To your original question though, while I wouldn't personally choose either, of the two I'd probably choose the S&W only because I have heard from a larger sample size of their owners that seem happy enough. If you can stretch your budget into a Colt, its very unlikely that it'd be a bad thing.
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-08-24 at 14:04.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Weren't the Bushmasters really good back in the ABC days?
    I purchased my first AR in the 90s, Bushmaster. There weren't a lot of choices at the LGS 30 years ago besides Colt and Bushmaster. Never regretted the purchase. It digested many cases of Wolf steel case with the infamous "lacquer drips" and never missed a beat. Bushmaster then isn't the same Bushmaster today but that's another story.

Included was a US Marine technical manual. Flipped though it more than once with a cup of coffee. I don't pretend to know a great deal about these rifles but reading through the manual took a bit of mystery out of the rifle for me.

Cheers.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-08-24 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Considering one of two carbines

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Guys, consider not being giant ****tards. IG was very knowledgeable but could also be kind of a dick. Not knowing who he is really doesn't mean anything at this point, I don't know why some of you seem almost triggered about it. OP sounds like he's watched some vids or maybe learned some stuff a while ago but doesn't have a full grasp. Nothing wrong with that. As to his original question, this forum has pushed Colt at least since I've been here, and while I know that its tiresome to see the same questions asked, the status quo should be challenged every so often. How many of you that are recommending Colts have tried either of his mentioned options ever? How about recently? Can you actually speak with recent experience as to the differences is performance? If its that much of a problem for you, just don't respond. Its not hard.

OP, you're a little off base on several of your posts. Some guys are being a little too much but there is plenty of knowledge around between members in this thread that are still trying to help and plenty to be searched from previous posts.

With all of that said, barrel profile matters to me, I too prefer tapered whether heavy or light. For what you want, the Colt SOCOM is probably great (but more expensive) but I've really only heard good things about both F&N and S&W (for the money). SOLGW may be worth a look now too, their new barrel profile is tapered but I'm not sure how widely that'll be spread around their cheaper platforms. Also, I think you're wrapped a little too tightly around the velocity for barrel length, there's going to be very little difference between 14.5 and 16 so don't rule it out. FWIW, 56gr MEN 5.56 was going transonic out of my suppressed 12.5 at about 650m the last time I really stretched it. To your original question though, while I wouldn't personally choose either, of the two I'd probably choose the S&W only because I have heard from a larger sample size of their owners that seem happy enough. If you can stretch your budget into a Colt, its very unlikely that it'd be a bad thing.
    I’m 100% on board with everything said here. Well put, sir.

But honestly, there’s a reason they all say go Colt. It’s because they are fawking reliable and affordable. Cheap ARs have flooded the market and any dumb dude can have one for $500 and throw it in the closet, maybe bang out a couple mags a year.

But if you’re looking for a rig you will shoot weekly, and expect some reliability, Colt is probably the base line.

Sure, there are other brands that would fit that niche, but I went Colt because they’ve been proven over time, and aren’t trying to be the hot new sh!t.

I see them as the Toyota of the AR world. Not that fancy, but runs without issues 95% of the time.
    Last edited by CrowCommand; 05-08-24 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Considering one of two carbines

Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Your asks are being a bit schizophrenic.

Lets work backwards...

1 - what is your budget for the upper?
    2- what are your must haves?
    3- what would be your like to haves?

Based on what you have posted, I think you would be served well with a 16 inch, light weight profile that is free-floated.
    I haven’t seen absolute answers to any of these questions.

Is the primary use long-ish range precision (to what degree), or is it close range?

As was already mentioned, if it’s not a dedicated long range rig, having an 18” heavy barrel and PRS stock would be quite inappropriate.

The Colt 6960 upper mentioned above paired with any quality lower would be a good multi-purpose solution. I bought one from Brownells a few years ago on sale and it’s been a solid upper.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-08-24 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    IraqGuns, the Moderator / Gunsmith who probably would have banned you for posting such nonsense, RIP.

You've been registered since 2012 and should certainly know who he was...........

Search his posts, you'll likely learn something.
    I hope he would give a warning before banning someone.

Though I've been registered here since 2012, I haven't spent much time on here until recently.

That IraqGuns is a gunsmith has made me even more motivated to read his posts.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast