Quote Originally Posted by Echo40 View Post
There was a time when you used to see a lot more variety, with folks who owned all sorts of ARs and were always looking to expand their collections, try out the latest offering by every brand, then post detailed comparison threads between the latest AR and their tried and true AR, which wasn't always a Colt.
There are still LOTS of AR options out there. I can name a dozen EXCELLENT AR manufacturers. But when it comes to entry level ARs, especially a "do everything" rifle, it's just damn hard to be a 6920 and you can't really get "just as good" for the same price or less. You typically have to spend more than a little money to beat it. This is true for more reasons than I can list and it remains true.

Now If you are trying to go out past 300 yards, especially with a serious degree of accuracy, you are gonna want something else. A 6920 will do it, but LOTS of better contenders, but they will cost you quite a bit more for that long range accuracy.

And if you are looking for a specific CQB/ suppressor host, a 6920 will do it, but you probably do want a SBR since you aren't talking about anything out to 100 yards anyway.

And if you are looking for a range toy, buy whatever you want that you feel like you want for whatever reason. If you are just gonna plink cans and bottles for recreation, a S&W or a FN will be fine and you probably don't have to worry about it malf'ing on you ever, probably can't say the same for Anderson, seen them fail on a bright sunny day.

The OP was kind of non specific with his wants and needs, which resulted in a general recommendation for "best entry level AR for the best price BUT with a specific home defense consideration" which is pretty much what the 6920 is. If you want something you might bet all the marbles on, saving $150 is meaningless if it means passing on a rifle with serious reliability and performance.

I don't know how long you've actually been here, but before I even got here, despite the many options...the consensus was still "6920 and done." Hell they even had a chart that supported it.