Thread: Scope adj and bags from bench

Feedback Score

Scope adj and bags from bench

Just a quick fudd anecdote fwiw:

Zeroed an AR with a Viper 1-6. Bipod/rear bag. Wanted to count from stops, so I turned knobs all the way down then all the way left. Counted back to zero. Went to shoot to verify. Couldn't acquire 100y target from the bag setup. Not even close. Added a small bag under rear bag to raise stock +- 1in to reacquire target. Then I realized I had counted windage back but hadn't counted elevation back up. Counted up and was able to remove little bag from under stock and acquire target from original setup. Whodda thunk? Poi was dead on.

Y'all shoot well and be safe.....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 05-03-24 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Our problem is bringing the turret back to zero after taking a long shot. And every time I dial up irons for distance, I forget to bring them down to zero.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    That's why I count and record when I go way downrange. Don't trust the dials from long ago. Then there's always the overtorque slip: damn, did it just click 2 or 3 times? And another: damn. Did I already add those 3 clicks?

And I'd swear I turned a knob the wrong way just the other day....

Screwup or not, I just found it interesting that a hundred minutes or so of e in the scope required such a different hold. Hadn't ever thought about it.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    I just found it interesting that a hundred minutes or so of e in the scope required such a different hold. Hadn't ever thought about it.....
    I hear you. I'll do that every few weeks or so. Build my position and rear bag before I dial up... then have to fix it all over again.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You turned the elevation turret all the way down (clockwise), so the rifle was shooting really low, so low that you needed an additional rear bag to point the muzzle down.

Short of "high end" scope with resettable zero stop, this sort of thing happens rather often in practice. Even when I remember to reset the turret to zero, missing a full turn or two happens once a while. With proper reticle features, I started adopting a hybrid method. Say my lpvo has elevation dots of 8moa, and the turret has 16moa a turn. When I need 25moa up, I'd dial up 25-24=1moa and hold 3 dots up, or dial up 25-16=9mia and hold 2 dots up. Doing so I always stay within one turn. Am I short changing myself on long range? Perhaps. But I max out at 56moa. Plenty enough for the sort of shooting with a lpvo.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I counted to the stops for an idea close to where my "go to war" ammo z might be for later reference after adjustments over time for whatever ammo. I counted back for w, but I was too stupid to reapply e until I realized something wasn't right. Didn't shoot before e was applied, but I almost did. In the end, I probably shudda done the figgerin from mechanical center....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Our problem is bringing the turret back to zero after taking a long shot. And every time I dial up irons for distance, I forget to bring them down to zero.
    That's one of the reasons I stopped dialing and just memorized holds. I don't get to get out as far as you guys though.