Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Effect on POI when occluding red dot sights

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    You have to be target focused.
    We're assuming people know how to use red dots. Being target focused doesn't fix phoria.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    We're assuming people know how to use red dots. Being target focused doesn't fix phoria.
    The problem is people thinking they are target focused when they are not.

Occluding the dot is used to show you when you are and are not target focused. You physically cant be target focused and have phoria. Phoria by definition is divergence of focus.

Edit to clarify : when I say "focus" i mean eye convergence, both eyes focuswd on a singular object.

Edit 2: look at a stop sign, if you swipe your hand over an eye, does it need to refocus? No. An rds is different because attention is drawn to it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; Yesterday at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Occluding the dot is used to show you when you are and are not target focused. You physically cant be target focused and have phoria. Phoria by definition is divergence of focus.
    You're bringing up two separate issues. One is the problem people have with where they focus their attention. It's referring to where their attention is going - are they staring at the target or tracking the dot. Ben explains it in the video.

A red dot is not like the front sight on a handgun. Focusing on the front sight makes the target blurry. With a red dot - whether the target is close or far, both the target and the dot remains in focus.

Phoria is another. You can totally be target focused and experience phoria. I guarantee that when I did my phoria experiments, my non-occluded eye was 100% focused on the target, which remained sharp. The dot just moved back and forth on the target when opening and closing the front cap. My attention and focus never moved from the target. Remember that when doing the experiment, the gun remains stationary on the target in a rest. The only moving thing is the front scope cover.
    It's not like shooting a handgun that's recoiling and seeing whether you're looking at the target or tracking the dot instead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    You're bringing up two separate issues. One is the problem people have with where they focus their attention. It's referring to where their attention is going - are they staring at the target or tracking the dot. Ben explains it in the video.

A red dot is not like the front sight on a handgun. Focusing on the front sight makes the target blurry. With a red dot - whether the target is close or far, both the target and the dot remains in focus.

Phoria is another. You can totally be target focused and experience phoria. I guarantee that when I did my phoria experiments, my non-occluded eye was 100% focused on the target, which remained sharp. The dot just moved back and forth on the target when opening and closing the front cap. My attention and focus never moved from the target. Remember that when doing the experiment, the gun remains stationary on the target in a rest. The only moving thing is the front scope cover.
    It's not like shooting a handgun that's recoiling and seeing whether you're looking at the target or tracking the dot instead.
    I know what you're talking about, one eye diverges from the target.
    How fast did the dot move when you closed the cap? IME, it can be trained a bit. Also, the less time behind the occluded dot, the less divergence. If you get behind the dot and shoot in 1 sec, how far off are you? How about 0.5s?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234