Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you put on barrel extensions?

Feedback Score

What do you put on barrel extensions?

I hear about Aeroshell and green Loctite. I was talking to Noveske customer service and he told me when they assemble rifles, they put Aeroshell on the threads and extensions. When I recently put together an upper, the instructions that came with the parts recommended putting lithium grease on the threads and extension. I'm guessing Aeroshell is lithium grease. I wanted to see what type of lithium grease I could find locally. Thought I would share with you what I found at the auto parts store. I think it's good stuff. I put it on the barrel threads and extension. It's a Lucas Oil product Red "N" Tacky lithium based grease. I think it has a higher temperature rating than Aeroshell. I did not get the spray on type, seems like it might not be as good. What works best? I'm just wondering what you guys use, and your opinions and if anyone uses this product of rifles.

Last edited by e z money; 04-06-24 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I bought 2 jars of this years ago and it seems fine. I haven't had to take many uppers apart again to see how it holds up but seems like a good choice.
    https://www.amazon.com/AEROSHELL-33M...s%2C105&sr=8-9

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used both Aero Shell 33/64 and Red and Tacky.

If you look at the Product Data Sheets Aero Shell provides more info, and is .mil and .gov approved. If you look at the common areas on the PDS's most of the ASTM numbers are the same. Pretty sure both are okay. Red and Tacky is easier to come by.

https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/04_Grea...NTacky_PDS.pdf

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/...7d8a3ddeea.pdf
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I use Lucas Oil Red "N" Tacky to grease all the contact points on my snowplows. It works pretty good with wet snow and water. Never used it on an AR. Works great on the plows. I get it at O'Reilly's.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I have used both Aero Shell 33/64 and Red and Tacky.

If you look at the Product Data Sheets Aero Shell provides more info, and is .mil and .gov approved. If you look at the common areas on the PDS's most of the ASTM numbers are the same. Pretty sure both are okay. Red and Tacky is easier to come by.

https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/04_Grea...NTacky_PDS.pdf

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/...7d8a3ddeea.pdf
    While some of the numbers are similar, some important ones are quite different:

Base Viscosity @40° C (cSt):
    Red n' Tacky - 120
    64MS - 14.2

Base Viscosity @100° C (cSt):
    Red n' Tacky - 18
    64MS - 3.4

4-Ball EP Load Wear Index (kgf):
    Red n' Tacky - 500
    64MS - 68

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never had or seen the need for any type locker in several guns from A1 / A2 to todays ARs. I only use whatever grease I have in proximity. No issues through decades.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I pack the CVs on my axles with red and tacky, good stuff.

On my AR I use something that is silvery grey, it appears to have metal powered in it? It was sold specific to barrel nut use

Feedback Score
    Of course most use the AeroShell 33MS/64 since it is the recommended grease that most use.

Colt uses MOLYKOTE G-N Metal Assembly Paste.

Personally, I use T.S. Moly's TS-70 Moly Paste. I do not coat the entire barrel extension with it as that has never been recommended in any manual that I've seen. The only place I've ever seen coating the entire barrel extension being shown is by misguided YouTube gun hackers that misread the manual. I think that practice started with nsz85 and spread like wildfire from there. It also became standard practice for those that bought into the thermal fit upper hype. All that is needed is to liberally coat the threads of the upper receiver and the forward facing side of the barrel extension flange.

nsz85 going overboard with greasing the entire barrel extension and upper's barrel extension socket here. All while not saying a thing about greasing the forward facing side of the barrel extension flange which is a critical step to miss in the process. Though oddly, it's also not mentioned in any manual.

Also, as seen used in that video is the Geissele Reaction Rod, which since it came out has caused a lot of bad juju with thread after thread on sheared indexing pins and damaged uppers. If you are going to use a Reaction Rod type tool for installing barrels, then make sure it's one with a support block fin or sail on top of the tool (MI-URR or 2Unique LLC barreling spud).
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-07-24 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    I'm not one to toot the SOTAR horn all that much, but he demonstrates the pros and cons of the Reaction Rod type tools pretty well here. He is wrong about one thing though, you are not safe using a fin-less Reaction Rod as long as you stay within the torque spec. Damage to the indexing pin notch will occur at even only the low to mid range of the torque spec when using the Reaction Rod.

Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-07-24 at 09:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post

Colt uses MOLYKOTE G-N Metal Assembly Paste.
    Curios about something here. MolyKote has an expiration date on the tube. Mine is currently 2/25. Does it only expire unused inside the tube lol? Or if its installed on your barrel nut a month before expiring and the gun sits inside the safe and it expires after wiped on a barrel nut? No I haven't been drinking and I am serious.

Does aeroshell have a similar expiration date?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast