Thread: To Glock or Not to Glock

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I used to think the same way until I actually looked into the internals of a Glock and how they operate, they're not SA like other striker fired guns. With the internal safeties and the trigger safety it's very unlikely to have a discharge while reholstering. But I understand where you're coming from.
    I do understand the internals and the firing pin disconnect that nearly all auto's have.

Much of the concern is my head. Distrust. That striker, held by the sear 60--95% gun depending, like the fingers on the knob of a pinball-machine. Should it slip, the striker slams forward. Did the disconnector spring do it's job? Does it keep the firing pin held back? If not, you may be shot. Or someone near you be shot or maybe catch a ricochet. It's decided by these mass-produced parts thrown together in haste and chance.

Or carry a gun with a hammer at rest and not worry about it.

Actually, I just started carrying my new M&P Compact .40. It has a manual safety. I've been using that when holstering, then clicking it off.

I ran drills (draw to first shot on timer) and I didn't like the extra motion of clicking off the safety. It's not automatic for me after carrying for decades not having to do it. I'm hard-wired not to now & I'm not sure how many thousands of draws it would take for a safety sweep to be automatic.

It's really all about the first shot & how the pistol fits an optic. (Striker vs DA / SA)
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-05-24 at 14:55.