Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Follow up of interest. In her book she talks about the entire OBL mission being under the always - intentionally according to some - murky Title 50 under the CIA. According to her, ST6 members wore no identifying patches, etc during the op. At the UDT-SEAL Museum, there's a display dedicated to that mission, with a full outfit worn that day by one of the men. It has usual patches one would expect, US flag, etc. However, they're all attached via Velcro. None are sown on. So, did they add the identifying patches post mission? I didn't inquire with the powers that be as there are some topics you don't inquire about. I found that interesting, but I'm a mil/history/SOF nerd all around. I will inquire if/when there's a right place/time for that, but it's not something you knock on the office and ask the retired 6 guys about operating under Title 50 (and 10?) some some missions.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Follow up of interest. In her book she talks about the entire OBL mission being under the always - intentionally according to some - murky Title 50 under the CIA. According to her, ST6 members wore no identifying patches, etc during the op. At the UDT-SEAL Museum, there's a display dedicated to that mission, with a full outfit worn that day by one of the men. It has usual patches one would expect, US flag, etc. However, they're all attached via Velcro. None are sown on. So, did they add the identifying patches post mission? I didn't inquire with the powers that be as there are some topics you don't inquire about. I found that interesting, but I'm a mil/history/SOF nerd all around. I will inquire if/when there's a right place/time for that, but it's not something you knock on the office and ask the retired 6 guys about operating under Title 50 (and 10?) some some missions.
    A good friend just retired from the air force, he was pararescue. He had spent several years with 24th STS (the AF's SMU, often farmed out to the other SMUs and CIA). We had a similar chat, he said that 'black' operations would be sterile: no dog tags, no patches, no US-specific identifying features. Then we laughed because, well, you know.

I would think it's OK to ask. I mean, the fact that SMUs often operate under Title 50/10 isn't itself a secret, so asking about the patches is OK.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    .. According to her, ST6 members wore no identifying patches, etc during the op. At the UDT-SEAL Museum, there's a display dedicated to that mission, with a full outfit worn that day by one of the men. It has usual patches one would expect, US flag, etc. However, they're all attached via Velcro. None are sown on. So, did they add the identifying patches post mission? I didn't inquire with the powers that be as there are some topics you don't inquire about. I found that interesting, but I'm a mil/history/SOF nerd all around...
    In Col. Charles Beckwith book, he wrote that the D operators wore blue jeans, Army field jacket died black with US flag on it. The flag was covered with duct tape and supposedly they were to peel off the duct tape to reveal themselves just before they enter the US embassy. There is a youtube video of an actual jacket owned by an operator on that mission, where they showed and described his black field jacket modifications.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    A good friend just retired from the air force, he was pararescue. He had spent several years with 24th STS (the AF's SMU, often farmed out to the other SMUs and CIA). We had a similar chat, he said that 'black' operations would be sterile: no dog tags, no patches, no US-specific identifying features. Then we laughed because, well, you know.

I would think it's OK to ask. I mean, the fact that SMUs often operate under Title 50/10 isn't itself a secret, so asking about the patches is OK.
    It's a matter of time/place kinda thing and reading the room. I will inquire about that at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In Col. Charles Beckwith book, he wrote that the D operators wore blue jeans, Army field jacket died black with US flag on it. The flag was covered with duct tape and supposedly they were to peel off the duct tape to reveal themselves just before they enter the US embassy. There is a youtube video of an actual jacket owned by an operator on that mission, where they showed and described his black field jacket modifications.
    Not sure if that falls under Title 50/10 working "sheep dipped" under the CIA per se. I read the book, don't recall mention of who they mission was under. I suppose I/we, could find the answer with some digging.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12