Thread: Ammo choice for a carbine class

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Ammo choice for a carbine class

This is a combo training/ammo management question…looking for thoughts.

I’m taking my first Carbine class (3 days) in a month, and I’m a bit twisted on what ammo to bring. I have a hodgepodge of ammo from LC green tip to MEN 5.56 to Wolf Gold to Fiocci to PMC. I’ve also got a residual 300ish steel case Herters that actually shoots good.

And I’ve begun reloading .223 and have about 1K of good 75gr reloads that will be my primary use ammo going forward.

The class is broken down to the first day being an “intro” and the next two being a “Carbine 1” classes. I expect to fire 800-1000 rounds for the three days.

I’m taking this class because I really want to try one good class on weapon manipulation and management live. I’ve had several excellent handgun training classes and while some processes carry over, the skill building is in the details, and differences between handgun and long gun handling are quite different. Shooting little groups during drills is secondary to simple target acquisition- fire - failure/reload drills.

Anyway, my plan is to burn through the cheaper ammo in the first day and then during the sight in on second day (first day of second class), transition to a single flavor like Wolf Gold or PMC and run it through the class.

I also considered running my reloads just to give them a good run through, but they could skew the POI I set up with the other ammo.

I do plan on emailing the trainer for his thoughts as well. But again, want your thoughts on what you might do.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 03-09-24 at 08:30.