Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
You unknowingly answered your own question. You have a drive to accomplish and conquer, but you need tools. A lot of people chase satisfaction with purchases - and get stuck in a cyle of wasted money and emptiness. All the time sighting in and vetting a new rifle a year latter to be at the same level you were $1k and 1 year ago, all that work and realize you went in a big circle.

I find the more I shoot in competition or dedicated training (even dry fire with PURPOSE), my drive to buy anything but ammo goes away, unless I identify a specific deficiency.

Ive been shooting the same 2 "GP" rifles same 2 pistols for years. In the last 2 years I did an AR distance traner and a year later, a proper bolt gun.

I i probably have 1/5th the number of guns most "gun guys" have, but I also have a NVD and supplemental equipment and working on skill to be somewhat competitive competitive in night competitions.

Tldr: what is your goal? Define how to achieve it and do that. Is it a collection? Mods/accessories dont matter. Is it a certain level of shooting skill? The gun doesnt really matter. What do you want to be in5 years when you grow up?
That was me for a looong time.

I had a Colt Sp1 carbine, a SIG P226, a HK G3 and a MP5. I didn't know why I needed a Glock or a new Colt carbine. It took the HK USP series to finally buy a new handgun in 1993 and I wouldn't replace the SIG 226 I bought back in 1985 until the rail models came out in the 90s. I was shooting what I had and didn't know why I would need anything different.

But every once in awhile something comes along that is actually a dramatic improvement.