Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you go individual or trust in this situation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Single shot trust is the way.
    Please elaborate as to why.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Please elaborate as to why.
    Probably for the reasons previously stated by lonestardiver, zombiescometh and georgelib. They are all talking about “single-shot trusts”, ie a trust with only one NFA item and one initial person (you). Once approved, additional people (family etc) can be added merely by getting their notarized signature.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/po...gle-shot-trust

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, all. As far as I know, the one-shot trust isn't really an option because I'm mostly buying locally and the one-shot seems specific to Silencer Shop.

I've been going back and forth on it, and I'm inclined to agree with Waylander that I don't really want to engrave my name on the gun. The trust route does keep things simple in the future with a larger collection that the trust owns. I did verify with a lawyer that I can identify the beneficiary of a trust as another trust, which greatly simplifies the whole "what happens if I die" process.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Thanks for the input, all. As far as I know, the one-shot trust isn't really an option because I'm mostly buying locally and the one-shot seems specific to Silencer Shop.

I've been going back and forth on it, and I'm inclined to agree with Waylander that I don't really want to engrave my name on the gun. The trust route does keep things simple in the future with a larger collection that the trust owns. I did verify with a lawyer that I can identify the beneficiary of a trust as another trust, which greatly simplifies the whole "what happens if I die" process.
    Single shot trust isn't just a product or brand. It is that. But it's the idea as suggested above to isolate your purchases to dedicated trusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that transfers to family members are free if you die and you can use a will to dictate what happens to your NFA items.

Feedback Score
    While I was on the phone today with a representative from Capitol Armory walking through the paperwork for a suppressor, I asked her what the individual to trust ratio was based on her experience. She said that it varies. It was that about 70% were trusts, but more recently people have figured out that individual approvals are going faster, so it has flipped.

Feedback Score
    I’ve considered setting up a trust with my BIL so that we can split the costs and be able to share items. I also like the idea that if my job took me somewhere with no NFA items I could leave it with him. I also don’t want to have a separate safe for just the NFA stuff as my wife needs access to the main safe.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is one more reason I started doing single shot trusts.

None of those worries about adding items and modifying the individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12