Even old Smith 357 and larger K frames, in the ubiquitous model 29 44 mag would shake apart if shot much with full power loads.

Can't speak to newer double actions, the price has generally scared me away.

I've come to appreciate Blackhawks. Dead simple, easy to get parts for if needed and in most cases Ruger did not charge for them. The only ones I've needed were abused or lost by a previous owner.

I used to think they were useless but now I think they're fun, especially for ringing steel and hunting.

The ones I'm familiar with are all vintage, I have no idea if they are making decent Blackhawks anymore. But to me there is no reason not to find a vintage one.

The best modern DA I've shot is a lowly Kahr P40. Yep, did go back to the factory under warranty when I first got it. But has been dead reliable since and has a silky smooth action. Still in the family. And I've run a lot of plates with it.

I know there are haters, but just recognize that in the Kahr line there's a wide range of quality in the various models. P9, P40, P45 are built to higher quality and finish. Most of the folks I've seen with problem have PM series.