Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
"The other guy gets a vote." That dude did nothing wrong, even holding his gun, down, by his side, in a non-threatening manor. Should he, could he, have put it down first? OK, sure, maybe. Maybe--maybe--a lack of critical thinking, BUT in a stressful encounter.

But. But all the cop saw was a guy with a gun in his hand, and seemingly lacked the critical thinking skills to be able to triage the scene quickly to determine shoot/no shoot. Not everyone with a cut needs to have a full-on trauma resuscitation, there are a million other ways to mitigate the situation. The cop was 100% at fault.
I can't disagree, and a tragic outcome, but as the cop, do you wait there on the X to find out the intent of the person with the gun while on a call like that? He responded on pure instinct and impulse, and is at fault, but not difficult to understand why/how it happened either. I read he was at the wrong apt, but he did go to the apt she told him to, 1401. Just a tragic event that could have been avoided had dude not answered door knowing LE was on the other side, and or, LEO perhaps jumped off the X and drew weapon, and gave commands to the dude with the gun to put it the F down. I do have some empathy for the LEO there, but ultimately, shoot/no shoot decisions are part of that job.