Thread: Tactical "social" Shotguns for a rural home owner and as a travel gun?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tactical "social" Shotguns for a rural home owner and as a travel gun?

I have a KAC SR-25 ACC (Advance Combat Carbine) and SR-15 LPR (Kreiger barreled SPR'ish rifle) but, I travel a good deal these days by car so, I'm rethinking my primary long gun. Inside my house in rural Texas, I'm not bound by any rules other than survival if bad people decide they want to harm me or those I love and care about. I also cannot see a good likely "self-defense" argument beyond ranges that I could shoot slugs at. But, I don't want this to devolve into a tactics or political discussion.

I have an older Gunsite 11-87 shotgun built-up by Ted Yost when he was 'the gunsmith' there. It is still serviceable but, it needs to fall into a backup role as I look at modern options.

• The Benelli M-4 has been the social media and video gamer darling for a long time. I'm not sure though that I really need a dual-action pump/semi-auto shotgun to shoot bean bags, door-breaching rounds, and tactical loads from the same shotgun in one string of fire. Weight and complexity seem to come with this option.
    • The new Beretta 1301 Mod 2 debuted at Shot recently seems like a top contender but, its $1900 MSRP is up there pretty high. Maybe the Beretta Patrol is a better option?
    • Then there is the Mossberg 940 Thunder Ranch or similar editions to consider.

I am planning on going to the Gunsite Shotgun class or possibly something similar from a similarly skilled professional training facility to refresh my skills in general and get into a modern Tactical Shotgun mindset.

So, with these thoughts in mind:
    • Benelli M-4
    • Beretta 1301 Mod 2
    • Beretta Patrol
    • Mosberg 940 Thunder Ranch
    • something else?

What would you get and why? What are the pros and cons of these models for this type of use? What else should I consider like a Saiga (bad for the East and West Coast) or maybe a pump shotgun?

TIA,
    Sid
    Last edited by Sid Post; 01-29-24 at 10:21.