Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith/Lipsey's ultimate carry J-frame

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    L-2, if you want to go cheap cheap, get a Lee breech lock press, a set of dies, a set of powder cups and go to the powder manufacturer’s website to get load info. You would be in for right at $200 with press, dies, leads, brass, primers, and 1lbs of powder for your first 100 rounds. It would almost pay for itself if you are loading up XTP’s or any other quality JHP.

You could even get one of these….
    https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION...s%2C158&sr=8-2

I have one for 45-70 and it is slow but works fine.
    I "think" the breech lock will be nearly as fast/convenient as a turret press (which is what I use). I have a couple of Lee loaders and my God they are slow. If you are wintering over in an Alaskan cabin, I guess they could help pass the time

A Lee hand press is viable if a bench is out if the question.

Feedback Score
    Will it run the .32 S&w long? If so, not bad price for range ammo?

https://www.gmansportingarms.com/pro...s?asaid=as0004
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Will it run the .32 S&w long? If so, not bad price for range ammo?

https://www.gmansportingarms.com/pro...s?asaid=as0004
    Yes, you can shoot .32 S&W Long out of the 432/632 model just fine. It was specifically designed to do that.

As far as ammo, I use these rounds for practice: https://magtechammunition.com/produc...long-98gr-lwc/

And carry with this: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=257

I have been toting a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum, but only shoot the two previously mentioned rounds out of it. If you shoot the full-house 327 Gold Dots out of a lightweight revolver, it's like have a grenade hit your hand. And I usually carry 130 grain +P Gold Dots as my reload for a scandium 342 ankle gun. But the 327 in a gun that weighs under 14 ounces with a small grip is just murder.

They did not make the 632/432 combination in 327 Fed Mag, as an aluminum frame is not durable enough. They would have had to use a scandium alloy frame, and that would have pushed the cost from $750-ish to around $1200.

Even that Buffalo Bore 32 H&R Mag round is pretty stout. The Magtech 32 S&W Long wadcutter is really pleasant, about like a 22 Magnum in a J frame.

My revolvers are in the pipeline, and should be here sometime next month. I'll post pics and shooting results when they arrive.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why they'd go backwards with their "ultimate carry" version of the 632 but the well loved and hard to find 632 Pro (.327 Mag version of the 640 Pro) or 632 Carry Comp were designed for .327 Mag and are great carry revolvers. They should have just brought back the 632-2 Pro in .327 Mag and the 432PD if they needed a lighter pocket J frame .32 H&R Mag to go with it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    Not sure why they'd go backwards with their "ultimate carry" version of the 632 but the well loved and hard to find 632 Pro (.327 Mag version of the 640 Pro) or 632 Carry Comp were designed for .327 Mag and are great carry revolvers. They should have just brought back the 632-2 Pro in .327 Mag and the 432PD if they needed a lighter pocket J frame .32 H&R Mag to go with it.
    And in order to build those under 16 ounces, they would have had to be scandium, as I mentioned. They would have also cost about $1200-1400 each.

I am curious, have you ever shot many 327 Federal Magnum rounds out of a 14 ounce revolver? It is a very fast way to develop a flinch.

Also, the sights on those are basically useless. I have shot both of the guns you mention.

Feedback Score
    I might need one of these, just can’t decide between .38 and the .32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I might need one of these, just can’t decide between .38 and the .32.
    Unless you plan on carrying a hot .38 +P I recommend the .32 mag with its 6 shots based upon my experience with Ruger LCR's. Practice with .32 s&w Longs. (If you don't reload, they're cheaper)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think the .32 might be the smart play but I think I am just going to stick with the .38 to keep my already insane ammo situation less insane.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    I think the .32 might be the smart play but I think I am just going to stick with the .38 to keep my already insane ammo situation less insane.
    I try to keep my cartridge count down so I’d stick with .38 also for that reason.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    My 442 arrived at the LGS, and I'll be picking it up on Monday.

The 432's have not shipped yet.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast