Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith/Lipsey's ultimate carry J-frame

Feedback Score
    Titegroup does get hot. But small cartridges use less.

That being said a 120-150 round practice session with 2.7 gr of Titegroup from the LCR from .32 mag cases still gets pretty darn hot.

I like it alot for practice ammo in several calibers.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Buying lead bullets I reload it for under $10 per 50. That's with current primer pricing.

The least expensive ammo to use for practice in a .327 or .32 mag gun if you don't reload is .32 S&W Long.
    Gotcha, I should've invested in reloading years ago when it was economical and practical to do so.

I'll stick with the 442 for now as at least I can find 38 at most LGS.

This Ultimate 442 has reignited my love affair with wheel guns, so as I wait for my 442 to be delivered, I ordered an LCR22 and dusted off my old 642-1 to start dryfiring with.

Feedback Score
    Update to my earlier Post 18.
    I'm on a "wish list" with one of my local dealers which is associated with Lipsey's.
    Technically, it's not an order, hence no deposit required.
    Since the internal FFL-to-Lipsey's website says my desired 432UC (aka #SM14035) is allocated, the FFL is unable to presently place an order but can put my desired product on a "wish list". If Lipsey's does tell my FFL it can ship the gun to my FFL, then my FFL can call me, asking me if I still want it, and go through with the order, probably asking me for a deposit at that time.
    My FFL said it may not even or ever get a call from Lipsey's and there's no further info or intel as to if/when such 432UC will be available, whether at the end of Feb. '24 or even a year later.

We all shall see. I did get an email from Lipsey's telling me to "order" one through my FFL, however, which gives me hope.
    Despite this hope, I went ahead and already ordered and took delivery of a Ruger LCRX .327 Fed and already ordered and received a couple of orders of ammo in .32S&WLong; .32H&RMag; and .327FedMag.
    (I don't reload; no equipment; no knowledge how; little desire to start up a reloading operation at this point in my life, although I could change my mind about this someday.)

I asked myself why am I getting into this .32 caliber revolver stuff, but after reading and thinking about it, I'm taking a chance on liking the idea even though I've already got ~eight .38 or .357/.38 revolvers. I suppose if I was really extravagant, I'd also order and try to get a 442UC, too, but I stopped myself at that point

Somebody on here asked where to get ammo. I'll say shop the various online retailers and it's out there. Just be aware these Lipsey's Smith & Wesson revolvers are .32 H&R Magnum guns, which won't be able to chamber a .327 Federal Magnum cartridge as the Ruger LCR can do.

Good luck to all and I'm glad to see such interest in revolvers, yet I'm still mainly a 9mm Glock guy.

Feedback Score
    Reloading start up costs:

Have a small bench. Mine is wood, about 24 in X 50 in. In the house.

Get a Lee Turret Press kit. $275. Comes with a great manual with loading information and will start you off from knowing nothing. Comes with one set of dies of your choice.

Buy .32 mag cases from Starline or a vendor. $110 for 500.

Buy 90 - 100 gr coated lead bullets. $100 will get you 1k shipped.

A 1lb can of powder could probably be found locally for $35 or less.

1k primers can be found locally for $75-100.

You can order primers & powder of course, but you'll pay more in shipping/hazmat shipping. If you do this order them together.

That's it you're in buisness. About $650.

You can load those cases several dozen times. That can of powder will last 2k-2500 rds.

Bullets .08, powder .02, primer .09. So you'll be at .19 cents a shot or $9.50 /50 rds. It will take an hour to load 50 at first but eventually you'll be able to load 150 per hour on this simple press.

Adding each cartridge (you want to start loading .38 or whatever) means another set of dies and die plate $75. Then you just need cases & bullets for those additional cartridges. They swap out literally in seconds and you're loading something else.

Just thought I'd give y'all the quick scoop on starting reloading with current prices.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-03-24 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    Post 34, thank you for that info. The entire reloading portion of firearms has always been a mystery and, actually, something I've feared and procrastinated about doing. Maybe 2024 will be the year I try it (or still maybe not).

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Reloading start up costs:

Have a small bench.

Get a Lee Turret Press kit. . Comes with one set of dies of your choice.

You can load those cases several dozen times. That can of powder will last 2k-2500 rds.

It will take an hour to load 50 at first but eventually you'll be able to load 150 per hour on this simple press.

I concur with most of that except the last line, that's because I was not and still is not very coordinated.

The Lee Turret kit is a great press for beginners. I lived in a small efficientcy apartment unit back then. I used the kitchen counter as my reloading bench. I C clamped the press to the corner of the counter/bar area and that was it.

I had to get a powder scale (my Lee basic kit didn't come with a scale). My slow speed was due to the fact that I couldn't get the priming doodad that came with the press to work efficiently enough. I just looked and the complete deluxe kit today does come with a powder drop and scale. I gave up and bought a Lee hand primer kit and powder dropper. The one that you load the primers in a round tray with the handle and trigger arm. I would deprime a batch of cases (50 - 100) on the press, then hand primed those cases, then I powdered them one at a time with the external powder drop. Then I seat and crimped the bullets. Slow, it was almost like a manual single stage process. I think once I got the hang of it, I could load 50 rounds in 30 minutes. It was a huge saving and I was willing to spend the time. In the early days of IPSC/USPSA, you need less than 75 rounds to shoot a match.

After about 10,000 rounds of that, I graduated to a Dillon Square Deal B, that I still use today. I can load around 100 rounds in 30 minutes on it. I'm still slow. I so shoot slower.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    L-2, if you want to go cheap cheap, get a Lee breech lock press, a set of dies, a set of powder cups and go to the powder manufacturer’s website to get load info. You would be in for right at $200 with press, dies, leads, brass, primers, and 1lbs of powder for your first 100 rounds. It would almost pay for itself if you are loading up XTP’s or any other quality JHP.

You could even get one of these….
    https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-38-SPL-Loader/dp/B00162RS7O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=3NXVU4KG89NR3&keywords=lee+classic+reloader+kit+38+special&qid=1707099147&sprefix=lee+classic+reloader%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-2

I have one for 45-70 and it is slow but works fine.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 02-04-24 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    Post 37, thank you very much. I've ordered it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post

I am extremely excited about this. This is exactly the pocket gun I have wanted for 20 years. They took all good stuff about the 650 Pro but put it on a .38 airweight. Plus it has a better trigger and some modifications to increase durability. I will buy at least one.
    I thought my gun buying days were over. I want one of each. I've never shot an .32 H&R Magnum. The sixth round is a very attractive option.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Getting at least (2) / Wife and I both LOVE the .32 S&W Long cartridge with BB full Wadcutters! / I'm retiring after 40 years as a LEO and with that retiring my need to carry service sized guns as the days of needing to shoot thru barriers, chasing and apprehending bad guys are also behind me. / She loves her Charter Arms Undercoverette - it went back to the factory and they did a great job with it, and for me I have an LCR . 22 LR and one in .327.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast