Thread: New 686+ mainspring came loose. Strain screw tight

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Chalk it to “anomaly”. Odd shit happens occasionally.
    I do know my way around DA Smith Revolvers; but if nothing is broken, everything tight- that shoulda never happened.
    You might check to be certain Strain Screw hasn’t been shortened for a lighter, DA trigger pull.
    If it has, there isn’t the tension on Main/Leaf Spring, which conceivably cause Mainspring to pop out.
    I bought the gun new.

When I removed the mainspring as part of replacing the safety with the Original Prescision button, I made sure to tighten the strain screw very tight, and with Blue Loc-tite.

I've had no light hits, and the first thing I checked was the strain screw by attempting to tighten it. Didn't budge. Then I loosened it and it took considerable effort to defeat the Loctite. With screw nearly out I was able to put the mainspring back in place without removing the side plate.

I removed the mainspring & sidepate last night to inspect everything.

Probably gonna sell it. I lose faith in a gun easily.

I've been dry firing it a bit. Everything feels fine.

Perhaps something shifted when the cylinder was tight because of the lead & grease debris?

I'd have to remove my optic and mount as well as the safety hole plug and stock grip to put it back to stock if S&W would send me a return label.

They'd probably fire it, do a cursory inspection, and send it right back.

At least if my Colt King Cobra breaks I can send it back as-is because it needed nothing changed. Awesome revolver. Well, except for several reports of broken hammers.

I'd love to see someone make some milled / forged steel hammers to put in new Colts. I'd do it. Not sure if broken hammers are an Anaconda or Python issue. Could just be Cobras / King Cobras.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-13-24 at 13:34.