Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun vs AR for HD (inside the house).

Feedback Score
    Is this a variation of the 9mm vs .45ACP discussion :-)
    It's your house use whatever you have and are confidant with ....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You can get in several follow-up shots quickly with one of these.

But my magazines aren't big enough for them!
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Forget all that! I'm convinced. I pity the poor souls that try to break into my house... the looks on their faces when they see the Mk 19 is going to be priceless! 1.57" of HE goodness! Now that's stoppin' powah!
    Unfortunately 40 mike mike probably won't meet the minimum arming distances inside of the house but for fancy pyrotechnics clearly a semi-auto shotgun with Dragons Breath shells are the way to go for HD. Shotgun wins again.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Unfortunately 40 mike mike probably won't meet the minimum arming distances inside of the house but for fancy pyrotechnics clearly a semi-auto shotgun with Dragons Breath shells are the way to go for HD. Shotgun wins again.
    A dude in my squad shot a door with his M203 in 2003 at like 10 yards. It detonated. Sprayed us all with shrapnel too. Haha.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    A dude in my squad shot a door with his M203 in 2003 at like 10 yards. It detonated. Sprayed us all with shrapnel too. Haha.
    Wow! Any injuries?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    When I was a squad leader, I always thought "This is why we can't have nice things."

I hope none of your Joes were badly hurt. That had to suck.

Feedback Score
    Either can work.

A little buckshot spread is nice. Aim high at 10-30 ft to avoid possible armor.

Armor concern / shotgun vs 5.56..hard armor defeats both.

Buckshot should be #1 or larger.

Not a fan of pumps unless short-barreled. They are fun, though. I like SxS's. Short, anyone in the house can use it, follow-up shot very fast. Learn to reload it like the cowboy-action folks, do, have a light, sling, and 2-4 extra shells on it.

Backup with a pistol. Or a chainsaw.

PCC can work, too. Aim well, like with anything else. There are HV bullets that can defeat some soft armor and limit bullets leaving your house and hurting neighbors.

I don't even have a 12 ga anymore. Probably will eventually.

Have a 28 ga double for clays, though! And slugs. @275 gr 1800 fps Brenneke slugs, IIRC. No, I haven't shot at clays with those, yet.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-12-24 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    What single AR round hits like 4 .36 caliber pellets @1225 fps?
    That's a .410 by the way, you know a little kids gun.
    Hell, almost make the Taurus Judge seem like a viable option! Don't even own a shot gun myself.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    ^This

If your hits are good, it doesnt matter. If your hits are bad and follow up shots are needed then you need to ask how fast is your recovery time? Can you pump the action at speed 100% of the time without short stroking?

With an AR-15 its not difficult to get some shooting 0.25s splits on a A-zone at 7 yards.
    My Beretta 1301 Comp 12 gauge can certainly do .25 splits @ 7 yds. It's lightning fast......

However, I still prefer an AR-15 if for no other reason, the extra magazine capacity.

But diversity is a good thing. Having access to shotguns, AR-15's, PCC's and Handguns, like a smorgasbord to choose from, to meet whatever situation you face is muy bueno....
    Last edited by BobinNC; 01-24-24 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Wow! Any injuries?
    Minor ones. We were in an enclosed courtyard type area so the shrapnel probably bounced around a bit before it got us. The shooter actually got the biggest piece stuck in his butt cheek. Buddy dug it out with a multitool. Everyone else got really small pieces that barely penetrated the skin. I probably had like a half dozen pieces in my left forearm. They eventually worked their way out over the next few years.

After the first day we hit Baghdad we were out of shotgun ammo. So we had to resort to other means to try and breach locks. I still have a scar on my left hand from my squad leader shooting a lock with his M16 and a decent sized chunk of the bullet jacket lodged itself in between my knuckles.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast