I have run into an issue with a rifle shooting far too low. I have spent some time seraching for an answer and asking those I consider knowledgeable on the AR-15/M-16 platform but have not really gotten an answer to my question.

So here is the basics:

Both rifles I have run into this problem with are builds. Barrels were installed and torqued to the proper torque.

Build #1 is a 20" M16A1 clone with an A1 upper and the A1 small dual peep and round A1 front sight post. I flipped the sight to the long range peep and attempted to sight in from the prone at 25 yards. The rifle shot exremely low (I believe it was 6+ inches low, but it was several months ago). I adjusted the front sight to the point where it bottomed out on the sight base, and the rifle just barely started shooting on the bottom of the bullseye.

Build #2 is a carbine with a midlength barrel, A2 front sight post, and a bolt-on carry handle. This one doesn't have the extreme issue of #1, but still shoots quite low, and the front sight post had to be dropped to within a few turns of bottomed out to get it on the bullseye (carry handle was set to proper notch and peep prior to sighting at 25 yards, just to cover all the potential questions). Although it is "workable" and within the range of the front sight it does concern me that two rifles seem to shoot low.

I should also mention I have a staright 16" M4 carbine clone (My very first AR, which I purcahsed during the ban). It is a factory built DPMS carbine with 16" barrel and an A1 upper receiver with an A2 peep. This one is dead nuts on at 25 yards and did not take any radical adjustment of the front site.

So, my theory is one of two things:

1. Something about my shooting stance/sighting position is causing the issue. However, if this was the case, why is there no issue with the postban DPMS carbine? One would expect that i would have to adjust the front sight until almost bottom out on this one too(?)

2. Something is amiss with the builds. The only explanantion I ever could get was "maybe you torqued the barrels too much on installation" but I am sure they are torqued properly. I don't remember seeing anything in my armorer's manual covering this issue, and could not think of another soution short of filing down the front sight post, and it seems that doing that is nothing more than a "band aid" to a larger issue.

I looked around and didn't see any FAQ covering this. My hope is that some of the more knowledgeable folks here might be able to help me out and give me a bit of guidance.

Thanks,

Dawg180

P.S. I did not see a spellcheck...please forgive my spelling errors and look at the content of the post. I injured my wrist a week ago and typing is a bit difficult.