Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Was there ever any proof regarding .38 Colt Long vs. .45 acp?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Wife is a Filippina and we often go back and forth to visit.
    My Wifes Family are Farmers in the Provinces and live way out in the Jungle. When I say Jungle, I mean triple canopy jungle. A lot of places underneath all of that have a lush very fertile loam like soil. It's decades of natural composting.
    I want you to consider patrolling through that or even trying to sneak up on someone in that. You can be standing six feet from someone and there is no way you can see them.
    And when it's not 90 degree's it's the monsoon rains you have to deal with.
    So that's pretty much the Flora, you really dont want to know about the creepy crawly things that will poke you bite you or sting you, that they call the Fauna.
    Now that's the 21st Century Philippines, imagine, no roads or a public water system like in the late 19th century.

So here's my thoughts, you could be ambushed nearly anywhere or at anytime you got off of the road.
    The Philippino's were using knives, swords and axes with a smattering of captured Spanish and American firearms.
    So the fight is going to happen at arms length, which sounds preposterous unless you've experianced that jungle.
    So the Pistol rules the roost here.
    Bigger and Better Calibers are the rules.

As far as what they were using to get high to fight, I would suggest Mushrooms and / or Alcohol.
    They have about 10 million varieties of mushrooms and they're all hunkered down in that fertile compost left behind in the jungle. You can't walk in some places without stepping on them after the monsoon.

The average Filippino guy is about 5'6" two generations ago it was likely 5'2". The farmers even in to their 40's are all guys that look like Bruce Lee when they take their shirts off. I really don't want to be playing tag with any of these guys out in the jungle especially if it's for keeps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In addition to what Averageman posted, consider wearing a wool uniform, high boots and carrying issue equipment in that environment. That would make it even tougher on U.S. Troops.

It has nothing to do with the stopping power of a handgun but would make it considerably more difficult to function for our Troops. I would want a close contact edged weapon, such as a machete or cane knife in my kit.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Being ethnically Filipino, Flips seem to love blades and 1911s.

Given a 38, 9mm, or a Colt I prefer the .45.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFile...pg-2958929.JPG
    Strangely enough Doug Marcaida who is the face of mainstream Filipino bladework really likes the Karambit which is Indonesian in origin.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    These old Farmers usually have something bigger than a Bowie Knife and smaller than a Machete, tucked in their waistband.
    They use those for pests, work and cleaning fish and game. I've never seen so much as a word in anger being passed between these guys, some of that be not wanting to show your ass to the White Guy, but I believe on the whole these are just really peaceful folks.
    Having said that, I certainly would never do anything to offend or even joke with someone about certain things, they don't take offence lightly.
    The only time I've ever seen some chaos was when alcohol gets passed around, I have drank all over the world, the only place I felt less safe when everyone was drunk was on an Apache Reservation in Arizona.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Interesting. My instructors were disciples of Dan Inosanto and adept with edged weapons.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To give you and idea of how impenetrable that Jungle is there have been 16 previously unknown Mammals discovered in those Jungles over the last ten years.
    Not a snail darter odd little minnow, but full on Mammals.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    To give you and idea of how impenetrable that Jungle is there have been 16 previously unknown Mammals discovered in those Jungles over the last ten years.
    Not a snail darter odd little minnow, but full on Mammals.
    I spent 3 years in Panama as a grunt, I can believe it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdyYRTWbD2M

In this youtube video by P&S about the .357, they talk about the .38 Colt not working. And the .30-40 Krag (lol, you missed, dude). And the .45 Colt. Apparently the only thing that worked was buckshot, because dudes sucked terribly at shooting. And another nation’s troops making the same gripes about .577 (lol, you missed, dude) and .455.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast