Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was there ever any proof regarding .38 Colt Long vs. .45 acp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I agree. Opiates, in the pre-synthetic era particularly, are terrible drugs for fighters. In addition to making them prefer to stay home rather than fight (the reason the Japanese and British wanted their enemies to be hooked on them), they also make you die more easily. They cause vasodilation due to the histamine effect, and inhibit compensatory mechanisms. In other words, they cause one to bleed out faster, and reduce the natural ability to handle bleeding.

Imagine fighting people that are both sedated and physiologically fragile.

I’ve had physical altercations with opioid junkies in my civilian career, and it amounted to being careful not to hurt them.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I was listening to a C&Arsenal video this morning, and Othias mentioned that the Colt 1896 was said to fall out of time quickly, causing accuracy problems. It does appear rather dainty, especially with the metallurgy of the time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Wife is a Filippina and we often go back and forth to visit.
    My Wifes Family are Farmers in the Provinces and live way out in the Jungle. When I say Jungle, I mean triple canopy jungle. A lot of places underneath all of that have a lush very fertile loam like soil. It's decades of natural composting.
    I want you to consider patrolling through that or even trying to sneak up on someone in that. You can be standing six feet from someone and there is no way you can see them.
    And when it's not 90 degree's it's the monsoon rains you have to deal with.
    So that's pretty much the Flora, you really dont want to know about the creepy crawly things that will poke you bite you or sting you, that they call the Fauna.
    Now that's the 21st Century Philippines, imagine, no roads or a public water system like in the late 19th century.

So here's my thoughts, you could be ambushed nearly anywhere or at anytime you got off of the road.
    The Philippino's were using knives, swords and axes with a smattering of captured Spanish and American firearms.
    So the fight is going to happen at arms length, which sounds preposterous unless you've experianced that jungle.
    So the Pistol rules the roost here.
    Bigger and Better Calibers are the rules.

As far as what they were using to get high to fight, I would suggest Mushrooms and / or Alcohol.
    They have about 10 million varieties of mushrooms and they're all hunkered down in that fertile compost left behind in the jungle. You can't walk in some places without stepping on them after the monsoon.

The average Filippino guy is about 5'6" two generations ago it was likely 5'2". The farmers even in to their 40's are all guys that look like Bruce Lee when they take their shirts off. I really don't want to be playing tag with any of these guys out in the jungle especially if it's for keeps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In addition to what Averageman posted, consider wearing a wool uniform, high boots and carrying issue equipment in that environment. That would make it even tougher on U.S. Troops.

It has nothing to do with the stopping power of a handgun but would make it considerably more difficult to function for our Troops. I would want a close contact edged weapon, such as a machete or cane knife in my kit.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Being ethnically Filipino, Flips seem to love blades and 1911s.

Given a 38, 9mm, or a Colt I prefer the .45.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdyYRTWbD2M

In this youtube video by P&S about the .357, they talk about the .38 Colt not working. And the .30-40 Krag (lol, you missed, dude). And the .45 Colt. Apparently the only thing that worked was buckshot, because dudes sucked terribly at shooting. And another nation’s troops making the same gripes about .577 (lol, you missed, dude) and .455.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdyYRTWbD2M

In this youtube video by P&S about the .357, they talk about the .38 Colt not working. And the .30-40 Krag (lol, you missed, dude). And the .45 Colt. Apparently the only thing that worked was buckshot, because dudes sucked terribly at shooting. And another nation’s troops making the same gripes about .577 (lol, you missed, dude) and .455.
    Not to derail the thread and I certainly wasn't there, but makes you wonder about the tales of Sammies sucking up M855 during the "Blackhawk Down" debacle. lol, you missed, dude
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Not to derail the thread and I certainly wasn't there, but makes you wonder about the tales of Sammies sucking up M855 during the "Blackhawk Down" debacle. lol, you missed, dude
    One of my 1st Sgts was a private with 10th Mountain that went in for the extraction. He said they shot a lot of guys and never said anything about the rifles not working.

Then again, some dudes can soak up some rounds before going down.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There were a couple guys from my unit who would complain about the 5.56 not working. These were also the guys that always had a hard time qualifying yet they are certain they hit the guy sprinting across a narrow road 200 meters away.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast