Thread: Ultimate M4A1 type build (Warning not a clone.)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Ultimate M4A1 type build (Warning not a clone.)

This is a build I’ve circled back around to about three times now. The idea was to build the best M4 pattern carbine I could, sparing no expense. I started with a new Colt cage code upper, and a Colt SOCOM barrel. The handguard is the now discontinued KAC carbine length FF RAS. It’s my go to 7” full float handguard. I have no doubts about its’ construction or durability. I had John Thomas pin and weld a Surefire 4 prong flash hider to it so I could mount my RC2 suppressor. The bolt carrier is an LMT full auto enhanced, and the bolt is genuine Colt. Charging handle is a PRI Gas Buster. The lower is a custom unit from MOA Customs, finished with a genuine Colt LPK. The rest of the lower parts are a Geissele SSP trigger, CQD end plate, Colt 4 position receiver extension, Colt carbine recoil spring and H2 buffer. For extra cool points, I installed a KAC trigger guard and KAC backup rear sight. Lastly, I outfit the carbine with a Vortex 3-18 Strike Eagle in a Sphur QD mount (leftover from an abandoned 6.5 Creedmoor project), an Atlas bipod, and Surefire M600V weapon light.

The scope is overkill for this carbine, but it’s nice to have the available magnification. So far I’ve run about 500 rounds through it without any hiccups. I haven’t shot it past 300 yards, but I’m finding it really easy to make solid hits at that distance. Overall I’m very satisfied with how this turned out. Like I said at the beginning, I’ve built this exact carbine at least 3 or 4 times before. My gun ADHD, and financial issues a year back prompted me to sell off the previous builds. Now that KAC has abandoned their retro handguards I plan to keep this one. If anything, I’ll eventually mount a LPVO of some kind to it, and move the Strike Eagle to my next 6.5 gun. Till then this will be a fun range toy, and my go to bump in the night gun.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 06-19-23 at 21:05.