Thread: Help me GAIN weight!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Eat a big breakfast, a medium lunch and an alright early dinner.

It's how I'm losing weight, issue is this 20 year old bear gut I've accrued that's hard to go away.

I have monster thighs, glorious caves, and lately this monster pain in my right thigh like I've been wearing a tourniquet.
    Hey Sid, do you have any back problems? When I had a disc issue, I had pain in my front quad out of this world. Just a thought. Also, I think he is trying to gain weight, maybe I misunderstood responses.

Mega, when I was younger trying to gain weight, I freaked out if I let myself get hungry. It is taxing and expensive trying to gain quality weight, good luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-18-23 at 18:03.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Hey Sid, do you have any back problems? When I had a disc issue, I had pain in my front quad out of this world. Just a thought. Also, I think he is trying to gain weight, maybe I misunderstood responses.

Mega, when I was younger trying to gain weight, I freaked out if I let myself get hungry. It is taxing and expensive trying to gain quality weight, good luck.

PB
    Yes
    -
    It's all in how the body is moving everything, the body doesn't want to work very well at the end of the day.

That's why they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Your going to spend that day burning that energy, people try to say that your body burns better at night but that's just bs.

You sleep better when the body isn't working it's ass off trying to burn food.

Height, weight, what you can lift can only go so far naturally.

Don't forget metabolism also plays a part in this. If that's out of wack you can really go nowhere.

I'm not a health expert but I am a cook with a ****ed up metabolism and I try to eat a big meal myself every morning.

Carbs like bread are almost non existent for me and oddly enough alcohol carbs didn't change my weight.

One of the guys in the plant for the last month has been eating oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for lunch and he's not losing any weight at all and he's one of them go for the K's runners.

Like dude you are getting zero proteins and your body will usually burn muscle before fats.

In my experience anyway, take it when you will. Everyone is different, my brother can eat all day, years on end and stay 185.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How is it going?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    How is it going?
    I tried a few different grains, and couldnt break 2200 about 2 days ago... and I felt like garbage the next day, so im scraching that. I also verified wheat is 100% out.

Beans alone in coconut milk curry seems to be okay, and corn tortillas, and maybe potatoes.

I also bought some fruit. Also might drink more milk. I had to take a couple days off the gym to fix some muscle issues, but im getting back tomorrow. Im increasing weights for chest, legs, and arms this week, so if I can maintain close to my goal, it should be productive.

Ill update in a few days with diet progress, Ill be meal prepping suday for the work week so it will be the same diet for a few days in a row.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-28-23 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you avoiding wheat entirely? With that reaction it sounds like it would be wise as it may be causing inflammation even in smaller quantities.

If corn tortillas seem OK I suggest you try hominy.
    Last edited by Disciple; 04-28-23 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    Are you avoiding wheat entirely? With that reaction it sounds like it would be wise as it may be causing inflammation even in smaller quantities.

If corn tortillas seem OK I suggest you try hominy.
    Yes, i dont eat it anyways because I dont like it (bread, pizza, pasta). I hate wheat beers as well. Ive been pretty much wheat free other than a cookie or doughnut once a month or two. Oddly enough white flour doest cause a reaction like whole or buckwheats do.

Its not gluten, barley, spelt, and farro are fine.

Hominy looks interesting, Ill try some.

Feedback Score
    TL;DR You have to eat a lot more and lift harder and heavier to put on weight. You're probably like me - it is hard for you to gain weight and it probably seems like your body refuses to budge despite how much food you're putting back.

Ten years ago I was 160-165. Decently strong, ripped, but not big (I'm 5'10"). I started doing more powerlifting (and later, strongman) style work in the gym and had to start eating more (including increasing my protein intake by... a lot, to say the least - protein shakes and whole milk) to keep up with recovery. My lifts shot up but it took two years to gain 20 pounds - and that 20 pounds came on almost overnight, as if my body was finally responding to the increased demand from the heavy weights.

From there I gained weight in spurts, 20 pounds every couple of years, as my lifts continued to climb, until about 2020. I've been sitting at around 240 since then.

I say all that to drive home the point that your body is resistant to change and you will have to force it to put on muscle (you'll gain some body fat along the way, it's natural) to accommodate your level of activity.

I never have measured macros exactly, but with the protein shakes i have been as high as 200 grams a day (not counting whole meals and the milk itself).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suggest you try hominy.
    Always been curious how it was determined soaking food in lye could become edible again.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Always been curious how it was determined soaking food in lye could become edible again.
    I imagine a lot of desperate people through the ages trying to eat anything at hand. How about offal and scraps stuffed into an intestine along with a byproduct of urine and allowed to ferment? That sounds like a punishment but we put its modern derivative on pizza.