Thread: Reticle to Bore Perpendicularity

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Reticle to Bore Perpendicularity

I've read as much as I could find on the subject, including really detailed guides with math and all kinds of graphics but I'm sort of dead set on how I want to set up my rifle and I'm not finding the answer.

Problem:

I drew a nearly 4ft tall line with a Sharpie on a target at 100 yards using a 4ft carpenter level and confirmed the straightness of the line by hanging a plumb line in front of it to match up and gave myself an aiming point at the bottom of said line.

Fired 3 shots at the bottom aiming point and the drilled dead center and all touching, I dialed up 5 mils and fired 3 shots aiming at the bottom aiming point and aligning the vertical stadia in my 10x SWFA with the vertical line on the target and the group equally as tight but a hair to the right of the vertical target line.

Repeated it again this time with 10 total mils dialed and the 3 shot group was again tight but this time offset to the right twice the distance as the previous 3 (5mil dialed) shots.

Darrell Holland shows this exercise and indicates shots falling right with elevation dialed means the scope needs to be rotated a hair clockwise (much like drifting a front sight towards the error for zeroing windage on an AK).

Looking at my scope it does appear that I am already slightly rotated clockwise in the rings as opposed to having the elevation turret top dead center so that's making me wonder if I should actually rotate the scope counter-clockwise in the rings to bring everything back to center.

What I am going to do is just rotate it both ways until it's tracking straight on the plumb line of the target but I was just trying to picture in my head how the process would work and what is the right way to do it.

Rotate the scope in the rings towards the error or opposite of the error?

Gonna be a few weeks before I'm on the range again so any input would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by bb223; 04-05-23 at 22:33.