Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 9x19 grain for Glock pistols?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Weight is just weight, gets too much consideration, and is only one of many variables in play.

See also: "what weight is most accurate", "what weight is most reliable", "my gun doesn't work with <weight>", trajectory matching of weights
    This. I use gold dot 147gr, but ill use anything off docgkr's list.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Not sure why the question is Glock specific. 124 Gr +P GDHP is the 9mm defensive ammo I settled on for my G19, G17, and other 9mm pistols.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I go the opposite direction and carry 147gr RA9T in my time off. Consistently meets FBI penetration standards from a variety of barrel lengths with above average penetration and expansion, subsonic in a pistol, says “Ranger” right on the box.

What’s the objective here?
    Ideally the best defensive weight/round possible for the caliber.

Feedback Score
    I've returned to conventional JHP's in my Beretta Centurion for two reasons:

1. There isn't much armor that might be used by a BG the 68 gr bullet at 1715 fps (my chronograph) will defeat. Many of the inexpensive armor panels are IIIA, IIIA "+", or higher.

2. It doesn't take long for these very lightweight bullets to lose velocity. I believe that by 50 yds the penetration capability will be comprised. (Against any target) Good for misses, bad for hits.

I still like them in my Beretta Cheetah. Same 68 gr bullet, 1405 fps. I don't like the performance of any .380 JHP, and don't care for FMJ, either. I think the LeHigh bullet is good vs. FMJ here.

I'm carrying Underwood 147 +p+ Gold Dot now. (1080 fps my chronograph)

My 92X Centurion has a larger bore and shoots everything a little slower for the length. (4.25 in)

I still like the Underwood 68 +P for 9mm PCC's, too, for HD. My CX4 pushes them out at about 2100 fps.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-22-23 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My wife gets limp-wrist failures on lighter weights with the Glock 19.3 that is our nightstand gun, so I use 147gr Gold Dots (and the corresponding 147gr Speer Lawman for training). I use the same in my carry gun so I don’t have to stock multiple types of ammo. Not a great reason, but there it is.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sproc View Post
    My wife gets limp-wrist failures on lighter weights with the Glock 19.3 that is our nightstand gun, so I use 147gr Gold Dots (and the corresponding 147gr Speer Lawman for training). I use the same in my carry gun so I don’t have to stock multiple types of ammo. Not a great reason, but there it is.
    Nah, thats a pretty good reason. FWIW, Gen 4-5 9mm Glocks have a noticeably smaller grip circumference than Gen 3 ones.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Currently I'm using Federal HST +P 124gr. I just got some Lehigh Defense 90gr Extreme Defense ammo. Going to hit the range and see how it cycles through my MR920. May end up switching to it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Bill Wilson was so impressed with Leighi Defense performance he bought the company and he is on record as carrying in his 9mm Leighi Defense
    I’m sure if Winchester ammo was a small company available for purchase within Wilson’s means, and Wilson thought it would do well under his umbrella, he’d be carrying RA9T, and telling us that he does. He certainly wouldn’t say “well, I bought Winchester, but I’m really more impressed with Gold Dots, but Speer wasn’t selling. So I sell Winchester, but carry Speer.”
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m sure if Winchester ammo was a small company available for purchase within Wilson’s means, and Wilson thought it would do well under his umbrella, he’d be carrying RA9T, and telling us that he does. He certainly wouldn’t say “well, I bought Winchester, but I’m really more impressed with Gold Dots, but Speer wasn’t selling. So I sell Winchester, but carry Speer.”
    I don't know for sure, but I think he was impressed with the hunting rounds by Leighi and that sparked his interest. The pistol rounds just came with the company. Leighi make multiple styles of handgun ammo and he carried the fluted rounds, because they work.

I think the fluted rounds are better than traditional ammo for the following reasons. First they are barrier blind, second they have no cavity to kill up with material so the round becomes like a ball round. I then think in the 357sig round with the over 2000fps speed they will do rifle like damage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I think he was impressed with the hunting rounds by Leighi and that sparked his interest. The pistol rounds just came with the company. Leighi make multiple styles of handgun ammo and he carried the fluted rounds, because they work.

I think the fluted rounds are better than traditional ammo for the following reasons. First they are barrier blind, second they have no cavity to kill up with material so the round becomes like a ball round. I then think in the 357sig round with the over 2000fps speed they will do rifle like damage.

I don't see where they've been tested at those speeds, and Lehigh doesn't list them as a rifle/carbine bullet. The do have an extensive line of rifle bullets too of course. The 357 Legend has its own design, so no overlap there. Has this design been tested within FBI protocols at the velocities you're anticipating? I didn't see anything on YouTube either. I'm not bashing, just asking. It seems to be an omission on their part, or maybe I just didn't find what I was looking for.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast