Thread: Christensen Arms 6.5 very stiff upward movement of the bolt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Christensen Arms 6.5 very stiff upward movement of the bolt

Update: check post 13 for pics & issue

Visited a friend today who was shooting his new bolt action Christensen Arms Model 14 Ridgeline with a 16" barrel 1-8, chambered 6.5 Creedmoor. For the 1st 10 rounds, cleaned after every shot. Then after every three shots. I left when he was in the 40's, he will continue cleaning after every three shots, until he reaches 50.

Following each shot, to raise the bolt to eject a round, required a lot of upward pressure, with three different brands of ammo.

Anything come to mind?

Cut & pasted from their web site: The Ridgeline Titanium Edition combines a precision titanium action with our signature carbon fiber barrel at an impressive price. The firearm features a titanium radial brake, spiral fluted bolt, and a carbon fiber composite sporter stock with a Metallic Grey with Black Webbing finish.

Thank you
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 03-12-23 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is bolt lift stiff only after firing live ammo, or also when dry firing? It might be a cock on open design, so lifting the bolt is compressing what might be a stiff striker spring. If this is the case, it might compress more easily after use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Is bolt lift stiff only after firing live ammo, or also when dry firing? It might be a cock on open design, so lifting the bolt is compressing what might be a stiff striker spring. If this is the case, it might compress more easily after use.
    Dry firing doesn’t have the issue…

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    We’ve had to send back a few Christensen Ridgeline rifles with out of spec chambers. Tight bolt lift is usually a sign of chamber/headspace issues. CA took care of them but it’s frustrating to have to do that with a fairly expensive rifle.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 03-05-23 at 19:36.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    I would avoid anything they make. See problem after problem reported with them all over the interwebs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It definitely seems like an excessive chamber pressure situation. Since it's occurring with factory ammo, I agree that it's probably an out of spec chamber.

How does brass look after it's been fired?

Feedback Score
    Well on the bright side if it’s under SAAMI it could be cured with a chamber reamer if that pitting/scratches are in a spot the reamer will correct.

I’d just send their trash back to them though.