Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
Mountain House is okay, as are several other brands. Get a few and try them in your normal meal rotation. Tastes vary. Almost everything can be made better with a condiment and some seasoning packets, don't forget those. We can give you pointers, but you should really try them out.

Stick with the meals, the extra stuff like the packaged fruit, ice cream sandwiches, etc is gimmicky and expensive.

There are lots of other options in your grocery store that provide an easy to carry meal at low cost. They can also be rotated into your normal food supplies easily. The rice or noodle pouches sold as sides are $1-2 and work. Someone else mentioned the Uncle Bens pouches.

Identify a goal for your food preps, i.e. eat not to die, eat not to be hungry, eat to feel like home. Also what you'll have to prep it.
I chose Mountain house for their 30 year shelf life. Something about not having to worry about use by dates is kind of nice. Buy once and never worry about rotating your food supply. I have tried a couple and they were ok. Just trying to find the best ones without having to sample each one.