Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady 9mm XTP ongoing experiments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Appreciate all the knowledgeable comments. I plan to raise the velocity to see if they open up better and hopefully get a chronograph by the next range trip. I’ll probably add some barriers just to see what happens. At worst I can keep these for BUG rounds as vicious_cb mentioned.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Appreciate all the knowledgeable comments. I plan to raise the velocity to see if they open up better and hopefully get a chronograph by the next range trip. I’ll probably add some barriers just to see what happens. At worst I can keep these for BUG rounds as vicious_cb mentioned.
    Isn't #7 a little slow for your 4 inch barrel? Maybe #5 or CFE-P or similar would get you more velocity?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Isn't #7 a little slow for your 4 inch barrel? Maybe #5 or CFE-P or similar would get you more velocity?
    Not at all.

Especially so if he is looking for the most speed he can get at the lowest pressures...

He is on the money with respect to the powder and bullets both being able to handle a LOT of speed.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Hornady 9mm XTP ongoing experiments

CFE Pistol and #7 are the only powers the Hornady manual lists that will safely push the 124 XTP to 1150 fps. The case will be slam full with #7 but it will work. #5 pressure maxes out at about 1075 fps.
    Last edited by Waylander; 01-23-23 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    CFE Pistol and #7 are the only powers the Hornady manual lists that will safely push the 124 XTP to 1150 fps. The case will be slam full with #7 but it will work. #5 pressure maxes out at about 1075 fps.
    I see.

So you just need another inch of barrel.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I see.

So you just need another inch of barrel.
    Even Hodgdon lists 124 XTP with 7.4 grains of #7 out of a 4 inch barrel at 1144 fps. I’m not sure why you’re splitting hairs over this.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Western Powders lists the 124 XTP in 9mm at 7.3 grains of AA#7 at (their max for regular 9mm loads) 1150fps / 34750psi. Sadly their 9mm+p data does not show that particular bullet with AA#7. The Speer GD in that weight they show going up to 7.9 grains in the +p data with that powder so I would guess you have a little room to play with here if your firearm is able to fire +p 9mm rounds safely.

They do not specify barrel length or firearm used for testing.
    Western #1 lists that exact data, using a 4” barrel. It does not specify if its a universal receiver, or a real gun. It looks like they used the standard barrel length for most cartridges and don’t mention firearm for them, and has a picture of a universal receiver in one of the sections, so I suspect they used a universal receiver for all of their data.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Hornady 9mm XTP ongoing experiments

Hornady manual

S & W Model 39
    4", 1 in 10" Twist Hornady/Frontier Winchester WSP

Powders that worked exceptionally well in our test weapon were Accurate #7, and Alliant Power Pistol.
    Velocity differences between 4" and 5" barrels were negligible.
    What’s interesting is they show a larger max charge of 7.9 grains Accurate #7 only pushing to 1150 and from what I understand, their recommended max loads are usually on the conservative side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12