I need to update regarding my 686+.

The other day I was firing 187 gr bullets with double grease rings. Apparently it was too much gook for the tight gun and the residue caused problems in just 50-75 rounds. Cylinder didn't want to open, didn't want to close, didn't want to turn. It was difficult to pull the trigger. But I kept going.

The ejector rod was not loose. No light strikes.

I fired the same ammo through the King Cobra. No problems.

After cleaning the 686+ later I dry fired it a few times and something wrong. Then the mainspring popped loose. Removed the grip and found the loc-tited strain screw nice and tight. But I removed it so I could get the mainspring back in place. Removed the side plate. No loose screws, nothing inside looked damaged.

Put it all back together and everything seems fine.

I don't know what went wrong.

This isn't the first time I've had "Can always count on" guns fail. I'll probably start carrying a back up again because I can't trust anything 100% to work.

I'll probably sell this gun and buy a 2nd King Cobra. I'll use one to carry occasionally and the other to do most of the practice.

At least if it breaks (hammers sometimes break) I can send it back as-is. The S&W has a few mods (replaced internal lock with plug) that I'd have to swap out or S&W won't honor the warranty or charge me to reinstall the infernal lock.

It's a real let down. The King Cobra and the 686+ have been my favorite revolvers ever. Tied for 1st.

2nd place is the Ruger LCR line.