Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M855A1 Accuracy and Velocity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    855A1 is GTG to BC steel at 600 with a well used M4 and the Sig 6T DVO. Flatter than regular 855, difference of about a mil IIRC. That's nothing to scoff at.
    Wow. Shaving about a mil at 600 is noteworthy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ouch. My general rule is that nothing that can be fired from 5.56 is worth $1.00 per round. 88 gr ELDMs might be worth a buck per round for shooting the mile, but that's it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    -If I may, as Molon finishes his next installment, this may be of interest:

Something I wrote about in Guns & Ammo a few years ago. Could it be true, the old Viet Nam war bromide of," I stitched him square across the chest and he kept coming!" Patrick Sweeney and I tested this many years ago in a class but I took it further for the article. Patrick's point was that then and now, enemy combatants are likely to be wearing AK chest rigs and indeed, those sturdy AK mags filled with steel-case, steel-jacketed, steel-core ammo pose a viable barrier to the old M193 ammo. Even .45 hardball did not get through in some test shots. The good news is that the new M855A1. Mk 318, and Brown Tips all pretty much say, "Magazines? Were there magazines in the way? I didn't notice."

The fun part was that pretty much every rifle round shot into the chest rig also caused a flare-up of powder from the disrupted ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man. I'd have a hard time shooting into good "clips" and ammo. Even if it was Russian stuff.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Brand new Croatian mags donated by AIM Surplus.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

Something I wrote about in Guns & Ammo a few years ago. Could it be true, the old Viet Nam war bromide of," I stitched him square across the chest and he kept coming!" Patrick Sweeney and I tested this many years ago in a class but I took it further for the article. Patrick's point was that then and now, enemy combatants are likely to be wearing AK chest rigs and indeed, those sturdy AK mags filled with steel-case, steel-jacketed, steel-core ammo pose a viable barrier to the old M193 ammo. Even .45 hardball did not get through in some test shots. The good news is that the new M855A1. Mk 318, and Brown Tips all pretty much say, "Magazines? Were there magazines in the way? I didn't notice."

The fun part was that pretty much every rifle round shot into the chest rig also caused a flare-up of powder from the disrupted ammo.
    Good to hear that about the MK318, as I have that but sadly no M855A1. I would like to snag some MK318 Mod 1 though!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Good to hear that about the MK318, as I have that but sadly no M855A1. I would like to snag some MK318 Mod 1 though!
    I'm glad I snagged some Mk318 several years ago because now you can't find them or the M855A1. All of my AR's that I have zeroed recently have been done with Mk318.

That 7.62x51 A1 load has me intrigued though.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I'm glad I snagged some Mk318 several years ago because now you can't find them or the M855A1. All of my AR's that I have zeroed recently have been done with Mk318.
    What is Mk318? The bonded 62 thing? For me/my brain... I don't care about a round that I can't get on a regular basis. M855a1 could be the greatest thing ever, but if you can't get a bunch of it at a good price, WHO CARES?

It makes for interesting academics, and I do like reading about that kind of stuff, but you can't zero, train, and/or practice with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post

Very cool!
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast