Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Wasn’t the M855A1’s main claim to fame when it was created that it was lead free?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Doubled

Feedback Score
    Only combat arms troops/units will get the new platforms. The vast majority of Soldiers will still use the M4/M16 platforms. REMFs and other non-combatants do not need newer weapons.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    And its excellent general-issue ammo, despite my early skepticism, back when I was shooting 70gr.

A week ago two young (ish, both are Mustangs) Officers and I were at a range marveling at how far the M4 has come and how the M4A1/M68/M855A1 that even many reservists have is the best general-issue weapon ever fielded by any army to date. The improvements over time have made it go from “that’ll do” to really good. COTS and COTS-based upgrades in SOF have really made it an unprecedented study in excellency.
    While I hate government barrels, the URGI really takes that to the next level. Convert all M4s to that and you’re doing pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking. The M855A1 (from what I've read and heard) indeed does pretty well terminally against targets, albeit it with a higher chamber pressure and the resultant accelerated wear issues. Also, to call M855A1 a "revision" of M855 is a bit of an oversimplification: it's an entirely different round.
    Supposedly the pressure has been trimmed back so it’s not even really a concern anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    REMFs and other non-combatants do not need newer weapons.
    What an ignorant comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Updates on roll out:

"Soldiers with the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, Kentucky are the first to receive the Army’s new Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) system this week.

On Thursday, soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment were equipped with the NGSW ahead of April training where they will practice with new equipment, according to Army Futures Command. The training will involve a train-the-trainer course to prepare NCOs to conduct follow-on training across the company.

The Army also plans to field NGSW systems to a National Guard armored brigade in May.

The two NGSW rifles, which increase lethality at longer ranges, will be used by close combat forces which have historically sustained “80% of the casualties in combat,” according to Brig. Gen. Larry Burris, commander of the Army Infantry School and Army Maneuver Center of Excellence in a brief to reporters in 2022. Other forces will continue to use the M4 and the M249 weapons systems.

“For example, the company supply sergeant will continue to carry [an] M-4 or another weapon, not the Next-Gen Weapon,” Burris said.

The XM7 will be the new personal weapon for soldiers across the Army and replace the ubiquitous M4 rifle, which has designs originating from M16s used by Vietnam War soldiers. The XM250 will replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon, a 1980s-era gun.

The XM7 weighs around 8.4 pounds, which is slightly heavier than the M4, weighing about 7.3 pounds. The XM250 is about 12 pounds, significantly lighter than the SAW, which weighs approximately 18 pounds."

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/101s...-squad-weapon/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lets see if it passes field trials.

Though right off the bat it seems guys in the 101st are saying the guns weigh more than they are advertised as. One dude on Facebook had the rifle and suppressor on a scale and it was just under 10 pounds. The XM250 was coming in around 14.5 pounds.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post

Though right off the bat it seems guys in the 101st are saying the guns weigh more than they are advertised as. One dude on Facebook had the rifle and suppressor on a scale and it was just under 10 pounds. The XM250 was coming in around 14.5 pounds.
    Add to that the weight of the larger mags and ammo, while decreasing ammo load out. Glad I'm out and not part of this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    This statement in and of itself should be one of two reasons that the people who approved this need their heads (or bank accounts) examined, the other being that many of your personnel won't be able to get the training time to get the most out of the new round. Don't even get me started on short statured or female personnel when LE struggles to get smaller folks to qualify on 5.56.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill.

https://learningfromhistory.weebly.com/

Feedback Score

No dude, I think it's way past that point. It's in the issuing phase. Done-deal as far as Department of the Army goes. Read how the M14 was first rolled out.....a unit from the 101st was the first to receive it in 1961 and by the end of the year the entire division had been equipped with the M14. Ostensibly this will be the same (also the same Army division unit 63 years later, weird).

I've predicted it here before: there are 2 rounds for the M7: a combat load at 80K psi and a training round loaded more reasonably. I think the standard ammo (somewhere down the line) will be the training-pressure load with the combat load's actual projectile in it. I see parts breakage at an accelerated rate with the hot combat loads as it's currently slated to be fed.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

That seems right for a rifle weight of 8.4 lbs... The M27 is about 8.2 lbs, or 12.7lb configured with the 3x SDO, full mag, PEQ (probably more with the new VCOGs).
    Last edited by caporider; 04-09-24 at 10:11.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast