Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
Good point on the SDZs. Its been a while since I’ve had to survey and freehand planning calcs for ad hoc ranges based on safety fans. That’s definitely going to be a thing, and I can see getting interesting on Benning’s main post ranges, and many of Jackson’s. But, again, I haven’t done the math or looked at imagery, so maybe it’s not a problem.

You’re spot-on about the potential for training scars from using SRTA. Unfortunately, we both know that most Soldiers aren’t ever going to train at the distances this gun is designed around, and most will never train on recoil management or firing more than one or two shots per target. So they won’t even know that it’s a problem until it is. Hell, many commanders will violate the publications’ guidelines on using Alt-C, as they do now, and have for decades, and dudes will get “qualified” at 25 meters (or yards). I’d say its similar to using lower-powered ammo at certain matches, or for short range training, as is sometimes my own practice, but with a barely competent population that has a percentage of dudes with true proficiency. As a side note, I’ve noticed that the realistic simulation trainers, even the newest one, don’t care at all if you rest your barrel on the support; no POI shift. But they might shit the bed if you rest your mag on the ground. Training scars 4 dayz.

My real beef with this project is that the money should be spent on training, and instead this new rifle will make training more expensive, on top of procurement cost. And it will eliminate or require alteration of some existing training facilities, which is potentially a HUGE hidden cost that could have been spent on ammo and time. The rifle itself might be badass as a DMR. Probably the best ever fielded by any conventional force, potentially even unconventional ones.

This is our generation’s M14.
But you forget the most important thing: Spreading the Payola. The MIC's members and the Congressvermin they employ getting their pieces of the pie are far more important thaan the competent lives of mere pissant prole grunts... *snort* Remember, these people think that the enire world is a chessboard, THEiR chessboard, and all the rest of us are just so many pawns to be sacrificed.