Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
A local store had them on sale for 19 bucks each and at that price I had to buy a couple more. People make fun of them with some good reason as they are very simple circuitry and definitely fall into the cheap Chinese radio category. But they work, there are many accessories for them, and the functionality is well worth 20 bucks.
I've got to agree w/ this. Used Motorola, Thales, BK, and Vertex handhelds when working for Uncle Sugar. Generally worked pretty great. Crazy weather, big'ish mountains. Also used Motorola vehicle base (those worked fantastic !) But all that being said, I would love a better professional radio but all I currently have a six pack of Baofeng UV-5R's. FOR THE MONEY, THEY ARE PRETTY GREAT RADIOS. I've given away at least that many to friends and family over they years. They are a great "gateway drug"! I need around 6 more to put a trio in each vehicle. After that, and once I get my amateur license, I'm planning on largish shopping spree! 3 better HTs, a couple vehicle mounted, a good basestation w/ a few good antenna options, and several small solar powered repeater kits. I think I could do a lot w/ that.