Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AC-130J Ghostrider Gunship

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    One of my squad leaders in Panama had PCS'd there from the 82nd Airborne. He was deployed for Operation Urgent Fury (Grenada). I'm sure some of you older bastages have heard the story about using an ATT phone card while under fire to get ahold of Bragg and request support? He was in that unit. Once the comms were straightened out and the request went through he said a Spectre flew over and put a single 105mm round into the building pinning them down and it was over. One shot....BOOM....no more fire.
    Only takes one well placed 105 to ruin your whole day.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Only takes one well placed 105 to ruin your whole day.
    It still amazes me that they mounted a 105 in that plane and it is pinpoint accurate. The original AC-47 had 3 7.62 mini guns, which was still very accurate for the time. I remember my father telling me about his experience with their accuracy in Vietnam. His squad was once pinned down by a much larger NVA force with no chance for extraction or reinforcements. There was an AC-47 in the area so my father told them that he was on the east side of the road and to walk his fire down the west side of the road, basically 20 feet away. The gunship made a pass and walked his fire straight up the road, and Dad said the noise was unreal. Afterwards there was not a thing left alive so his squad was able to just get up and walk out of there.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    It still amazes me that they mounted a 105 in that plane and it is pinpoint accurate.
    That looks an awful lot like an M68 Breech, which would make it the same old 105 originally mounted in the Abrams.
    Those things are pin point accurate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    It still amazes me that they mounted a 105 in that plane and it is pinpoint accurate. The original AC-47 had 3 7.62 mini guns, which was still very accurate for the time. I remember my father telling me about his experience with their accuracy in Vietnam. His squad was once pinned down by a much larger NVA force with no chance for extraction or reinforcements. There was an AC-47 in the area so my father told them that he was on the east side of the road and to walk his fire down the west side of the road, basically 20 feet away. The gunship made a pass and walked his fire straight up the road, and Dad said the noise was unreal. Afterwards there was not a thing left alive so his squad was able to just get up and walk out of there.
    Now I want to watch "The Green Berets" with John Wayne....

I can understand the need for precision munitions on armor and stuff, but nothing would put fear into an enemy like the sound of brrrrtttt...Gatling guns and creeping wall of lead going towards them..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Now I want to watch "The Green Berets" with John Wayne....

I can understand the need for precision munitions on armor and stuff, but nothing would put fear into an enemy like the sound of brrrrtttt...Gatling guns and creeping wall of lead going towards them..
    I'm sure they did their due diligence as to best choices for the mission for the new version, but the intimidation and fear factor of the gattlers when they opened up must be worth something too.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, total game changer this one. Hellfire? Damn......

Dude, as much fear as the lawnmower BRRRRT sound would cause...precision standoff is even scarier!

Destruction from above, from nowhere.....hell yeah.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    When they were on station you usually could not hear them....until you called them. The Air Force TACP/JTAC and CCT guys could dance the dance with Spectre and get fire up to 30 meters from us. They were brilliant. Our own JTAC guys could do alright, but the AF studs were awesome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    That looks an awful lot like an M68 Breech, which would make it the same old 105 originally mounted in the Abrams.
    Those things are pin point accurate.
    I think the 105mm mounted on the AC-130 is a M102, 105mm howitzer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not sure off the top of my head which model gun it is, but I think I found a case for one a couple years ago. Not sure the USAF has many other 105mm applications

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It is an M102 howitzer. Which makes a lot of sense considering it is compact, with a good rate of fire, good barrel life, and decent recoil characteristics.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...owitzer-video/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast