Thread: Cost to reload?

Feedback Score

Cost to reload?

Around how much per round does it cost to reload, NOT including brass? IOW, approximate cost per round for the bullet, primer, and powder?

Assume typical range fodder bullets, primers, and powders will be used.

How many times can 5.56 brass be reloaded?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I did a rough calc on 9mm the other day and it was about 25 cents if you could get some cheap or pull down bullets. Probably 30 cents for 223 ball assuming you'd have to buy at current lunatic prices.

5.56 brass can last a long time if you load mild. Ours is 2-3 times before the primer pocket is too loose.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Getting started is the biggest expense! If you have 0 equipment then you're gonna be in the hole for a while! There are deals out there on brass and bullets ya just gotta be vigilant and scour the net for them. If you're not into that and taking the time to do that it's gonna take a long time to recoup your $$$ on the tools to get started. Powder is getting silly now, primers are hit or miss, there are deals and then there aren't. The reloading calculator is a great tool but that's probably considering you have everything to get going. If ya want to get into reloading ya better do it now, cuz it probably isn't gonna get any cheaper anytime soon. Also, take into account whether is it a chore for you or will you enjoy it, if it brings you no joy then continue to buy what ya need, stockpile what ya can & what you use the most, and move on! If ya need links or info on places to start looking for anything, just say so, I'm sure many will chip in and help ya out. Keep us posted on what ya decide!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    powder 7000/lb cost as of now $45-$70/lb
    primers. $50-$90/1000
    bullets $15-$30/100
    brass free

what it cost me to reload a 223 rd.

powder $0.12
    primer $0.06
    bullet $0.15
    total = $0.33 per round

357mag

powder $0.04
    primer $0.06
    bullet free i cast them myself
    total price per rd = $0.10

This is at current prices. I am working on powder and primers from the 80's yet that I inherited. I also sell a LOT of brass I pick at the local public range. I use this $ to buy all of my needs I use to reload and also guns I like. I have not used any money of my own in over 20 years to buy anything for reloading or any of my guns. I am fortunate to be able to pick up a 5 gal bucket of brass every time I go to the range. And brass at $2/lb right now that is avg $125/bucket taken to the scrapyard. I avg 2 buckets a week.

Right now is NOT the time to get started unless you have lots of $ to be able to stock deep and have other resources to offset the cost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    powder 7000/lb cost as of now $45-$70/lb
    primers. $50-$90/1000
    bullets $15-$30/100
    brass free

what it cost me to reload a 223 rd.

powder $0.12
    primer $0.06
    bullet $0.15
    total = $0.33 per round

357mag

powder $0.04
    primer $0.06
    bullet free i cast them myself
    total price per rd = $0.10

This is at current prices. I am working on powder and primers from the 80's yet that I inherited. I also sell a LOT of brass I pick at the local public range. I use this $ to buy all of my needs I use to reload and also guns I like. I have not used any money of my own in over 20 years to buy anything for reloading or any of my guns. I am fortunate to be able to pick up a 5 gal bucket of brass every time I go to the range. And brass at $2/lb right now that is avg $125/bucket taken to the scrapyard. I avg 2 buckets a week.

Right now is NOT the time to get started unless you have lots of $ to be able to stock deep and have other resources to offset the cost.
    I disagree!

Now IS the time!

It's an election year. Ever-y-thing will jump in price and scarcity when it gets going. It takes a long time for stock to return and prices to drop.

You can start reloading a cartridge or two on a simple press like a Lee Turret for $500 or less, just to get going.

Feedback Score
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Ron3; Yesterday at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Cost to reload?

Prices post corona will not go back to what they were. They will probably go up this year, being an election year, and go maybe go down a few cents by mid term.

It’s odd reloading components aren’t bouncing back as much as ammo, regarding availability. I assumed more were buying ammo, than stacking powder and primers.

Estimate what you want to shoot in a year, buy 10x that in components as money allows, and drive on. It will save you money long term…..*If you shoot often*
    Last edited by CrowCommand; Yesterday at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I disagree!

Now IS the time!

It's an election year. Ever-y-thing will jump in price and scarcity when it gets going. It takes a long time for stock to return and prices to drop.

You can start reloading a cartridge or two on a simple press like a Lee Turret for $500 or less, just to get going.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Prices post corona will not go back to what they were. They will probably go up this year, being an election year, and go maybe go down a few cents by mid term.

It’s odd reloading components aren’t bouncing back as much as ammo, regarding availability. I assumed more were buying ammo, than stacking powder and primers.

Estimate what you want to shoot in a year, buy 10x that in components as money allows, and drive on. It will save you money long term…..*If you shoot often*
    Agree! There are deals out there ya just gotta look,my shooting buddies and I have prob bought 100K SPP in the last 3 or 4 months and there around $45ish per 1K shipped. I don't really need any but SRP are still around $65/70 per 1K along with LRP. Powder is the killer at the moment with some select single LBs going for $60 bucks + ship & Hazmat! The plus with that is lots of places are doing FREE Hazmat or shipping or $5 buck shipping,all this is based on buying a certain amount,sometimes $99 bucks or $199 everyone is different,but I get emails weekly with some type of Free this or that,sign up and buy accordingly! Ron3 is probably correct in NOW is the time. I would figure out what you want to reload 1st,2nd,etc and start buying components 1st. Theirs tons of reloading equip out there used @ fair prices,Craigslist,Ebay,gun Forums,etc,the components are the big items I would concentrate on at the moment with whatever your budget will allow.
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; Yesterday at 16:13.