Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kit for an ICU Doc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Where are you in NC?

It doesn't matter if you are a ARC First Aid-trained do-gooder or chief of medicine at Prestigious Hospital, if you 'practice' outside of your lane you are at risk. Even the Good Samaritan laws offer very limited protection, and that's for people with no training. I do think the higher up the medical food chain the higher the liability, for sure.

I think the 'reasonable standard' is applied in any situation: what would any other provider reasonably do? Splint a fracture, yes. Sew up open wounds, no. Of course this is my understanding, and I'd love to know what legal beagles would have to say.
    Gotcha. Kinda what I was thinking iniqtially but things change. Lol. North Davidson area. Work at The Big House in WS.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Gotcha. Kinda what I was thinking iniqtially but things change. Lol. North Davidson area. Work at The Big House in WS.
    Nice area, I know the hospital. Old buddy is in EM there (I think his wife is still there, too). I am in Big Blue in Durham, clinical nurse educator for trauma education. If you ever get this way give me a shout.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Nice area, I know the hospital. Old buddy is in EM there (I think his wife is still there, too). I am in Big Blue in Durham, clinical nurse educator for trauma education. If you ever get this way give me a shout.
    Small world. Figured you mhh ohh by be there. Copy that. PM me his name and stuff. Been there a while. Probably have run into him. Lol.

Feedback Score
    To risk sounding callous and uncaring, I will not render aid to strangers or get involved in any trauma that does not involve family. Harsh? Cruel? Evil sub human monster? Maybe, perhaps but not really. An ER nurse I know rendered aid to a gentleman who collapsed at a mall some time ago and was subsequently sued for her efforts. I'll call 911 for someone or to report an incident but will not get personally involved for the most part.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    To risk sounding callous and uncaring, I will not render aid to strangers or get involved in any trauma that does not involve family.
    That's my philosophy as well. There's no Duty to Act in my state once I'm off the clock, and I started realizing a while ago that most people aren't worth losing my livelihood for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    An ER nurse I know rendered aid to a gentleman who collapsed at a mall some time ago and was subsequently sued for her efforts.
    Doesn’t sound callous to me.

It doesn’t require much focus to realize how much people suck.

The FSA manifests itself in many ways, this example is simply another tactic.

Feedback Score
    I’m curious about her legal exposure if she’s “treating” or helping those other than family members who are significantly injured. I’m in anesthesia and this crosses my mind constantly being that live in such a litigious society.
    To risk sounding callous and uncaring, I will not render aid to strangers or get involved in any trauma that does not involve family. Harsh? Cruel? Evil sub human monster? Maybe, perhaps but not really. An ER nurse I know rendered aid to a gentleman who collapsed at a mall some time ago and was subsequently sued for her efforts. I'll call 911 for someone or to report an incident but will not get personally involved for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    As an ER doc and former EMT ... I get it, and kind of side with your wife.

IT guys, you don't cruise around town with a few extra pentiums stashed in your truck, do you?

Sometimes work is work, and work isn't home.

And let's be honest, ICU docs are, for the most part, NOT trained in first aid. I'm guessing she's IM residency, ICU fellowship trained? If so, even less likely to know first aid. Where do you hide money from an internist? Under the patient's bandages...

Point is, she's probably exceptional with sick people, but that doesn't translate over to the field. There's no labs, medicines, nurses, radiography, etc, in the field. And finally, she's probably worried about liability. My FAK has dumbed down over the years due to this. Hell, I passed on a sweet airway kit for $60 a few weeks ago, mostly for that reason.
    Thanks everyone for the input. Like I started out with, my main thought was that if something happened to someone in the family, would my wife look back and think “If only I had a …”, kind of like Rmorris lamented- but a lot more personal and impactful. I’m getting a kit like T2C mentioned for each car as a starting point and probably add a few things like Rmoriss mentioned.

Wife is hard-core. I dated another doc that I only found out didn’t like the sight of Blood, which I only found out on our way to see “Pulp Fiction”.

Also found a cool Gerber AR15 tool in my search. Win-win all around…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    .......I’m getting a kit like T2C mentioned for each car as a starting point and probably add a few things like Rmoriss mentioned.
    Shop around. NARP usually has pretty great deals about once a month. For Father's Day they had a $100 kit half price; they are still filling the orders. MUCH cheaper than I can get with 'insider' pricing. If having a fancy nylon bag doesn't interest you they have kit refills vacuum-sealed cheaper than the full kit.

Also check out Tactical Medical Solutions, Chinook Medical, and Adventure Medical Kits. They are all variations on a theme.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is what a lot of my colleagues feel like. I’m on the fence. It’s a legit concern.

Feedback Score
    This is what a lot of my colleagues feel like. I’m on the fence. It’s a legit concern.
    I do tend to have some remorse for feeling this way, being that I am physician (semi retired), but still, the likely legal and financial consequences of interceding in such circumstances mitigate those feelings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast