Thread: Rural folks - School me on homesteading safety

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Meth heads are in every rural county and are watching for their next smash and grab.
    Anything that can be seen from the county road is a target.
    It’s sickening how much crime they cause in our rural Texas County.

Get an automatic entrance gate, solar powered, one with a garage door type opener and automatic sensor.
    I have a hinged 2 “ pipe gate in front of the automatic gate that gets locked when we leave for extended periods. 30 foot of concreted-in drill stem pipe fence at the entrance.
    SOBs will have to work a bit to get in and most aren’t that committed and go to softer targets.

Go to local functions, donate to all the youth groups, make good with the neighbors. It may take 15 years to become part of the community but participating makes it quicker. The people you meet will be also watching your place in a good way. I sure do.

Learn how to repair your water well, as a minimum, understand how your pump pressure switch works.
    Single ply toilet paper for the septic tank. Scott Comfort Plus is preferred.
    Get a generator. Preferably propane powered with 500 gallon tank vs. gasoline.
    Wood stove is good to have, in the Texas February super Freeze & big Blackout was sure glad we had it.

FYI on property taxes. Your land may have been previously taxed at an Agricultural rate- real cheap.
    You apparently won’t be filing a Schedule F or have other agricultural exemptions- so expect a big property tax bill.
    Rural County tax appraisal districts are quick to pick up land status changes.
    I think it takes seven years to restore Ag exemptions ( once lost) in Texas

I’ve lived in the country most of my life. 30 minutes from fast food and a grocery store.
    Can take a leak outside whenever, wherever.
    Literally shoot full auto including my belt-fed 30 steps from the house.
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 04-06-21 at 08:54.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013