Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Faxon was the worst barrel we ever shot. Poorly QPQ'd is my guess. Pappabear sent the POS back, and those clowns told us we'd shot 10,000 rounds thru it, but actual counts were no more than a few hundred.

Never heard of Kak.

FYI: https://www.kakindustry.com/

Feedback Score
    Been looking at the Ballistic Advantage and was wondering who you can trust to do a little business with? Have dealt with the less then truthful and would not like to repeat the process. In 5.56 what chamber cut do you guys like? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Faxon was the worst barrel we ever shot. Poorly QPQ'd is my guess. Pappabear sent the POS back, and those clowns told us we'd shot 10,000 rounds thru it, but actual counts were no more than a few hundred.

Never heard of Kak.
    Having machined a Faxon barrel before, I can personally attest to their nitride being top notch. The problem is that to achieve the hard, rust proof types of nitride, it has to be done at extremely high temperature, and I can't imagine that's good for the barrel. It's like 1200 degrees for hours on end that these barrels get dunked in.

Now think of this. It's the heat that kills barrels, not the friction of the bullet going down the pipe. In a zero heat environment, a barrel could last indefinitely. Pistol barrels almost do, especially something like .45 ACP. Any finishing done to a pistol barrel is solely to prevent corrosion and make it look nice.

On a rifle barrel, though, the biggest factor in longevity is heat over time. And there are thresholds where you go much above a certain temperature and it's going to dramatically reduce lifespan, and obviously those thresholds are well below 1200 degrees.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Having machined a Faxon barrel before, I can personally attest to their nitride being top notch. The problem is that...
    Pretty sure they have engineers that know how to do it properly. Also sure you are not one of them...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty sure they have marketing execs that know how to do it properly. Also sure you are not one of them...
    FIFY

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nitride on centerfire barrels is exclusively a phenomenon of the commercial firearms market?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty sure they have marketing execs that know how to do it properly. Also sure you are not one of them...
    FIFY

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nitride on centerfire barrels is exclusively a phenomenon of the commercial firearms market?

Feedback Score
    FIFY

The brake rotors on my truck are Nitrocarburized.

Very, very similar to the Nitride you are talking about granting a slightly different process...

Between the resistance to heat damage and the corrosion resistance they are superior to 'regular' run of the mill / cheap rotors. Zero warpage so far after almost 30k of abuse. Look and 'feel' like brand new rotors still.

Feedback Score
    Having machined a Faxon barrel before, I can personally attest to their nitride being top notch. The problem is that to achieve the hard, rust proof types of nitride, it has to be done at extremely high temperature, and I can't imagine that's good for the barrel. It's like 1200 degrees for hours on end that these barrels get dunked in.

Now think of this. It's the heat that kills barrels, not the friction of the bullet going down the pipe. In a zero heat environment, a barrel could last indefinitely. Pistol barrels almost do, especially something like .45 ACP. Any finishing done to a pistol barrel is solely to prevent corrosion and make it look nice.

On a rifle barrel, though, the biggest factor in longevity is heat over time. And there are thresholds where you go much above a certain temperature and it's going to dramatically reduce lifespan, and obviously those thresholds are well below 1200 degrees.
    Theres more to unpack here than im getting into, but thats not how metallurgy works.

At a high level, erosion and temper are not the same thing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Two of mine have Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrels, (one 5.56, one .308) and they both shoot very well. They are moderately priced.
    Super pleased with my BA barrels. They are “fast” for their length and shoot cloverleafs. 2/3 were purchased used.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    For their price point, and maybe even a little beyond it, I've also seen good things with BA.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 05-13-20 at 06:42. Reason: Grammar

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast